Help with a new build, no video.

Righty

Limp Gawd
I just put together a cheap rig (its been awhile since ive built one)

Everything went together fine, Booted the fiirst try, and was about to install windows when the CD drive would not read, oh...duh i put the floppy drive plug in instead of the IDE, unplugged the computer and fixed that. Went to turn it back and had no video at all.

CD drive spins up, hard drive spins up everythinng works as normal but no splash screen, bios screen, just black. I checked everything, VGA cable, monitor, MB connections and everything appears to be ok, any clues as to what could have happened between the time of me just swapping out a cable? It ran about 3 mins before i unplugged it to swap out that cable.

mmm, also the thermal paste was sitting for about 10 hours in between said reseat...still good and gooey. Should i pull it again and put on new stuff or just let it be? Its a semperon 3400/stock heatsink.

Check the temps you're getting. If they're bad, redo the TIM. If they're ok, then leave it. ;)

I did try a different psu and nothing. It did boot right after reseating the cpu.So im assuming that was it, i just hope its not some hard to find gremlin that will pop back up. Thanks again guys.

The gremlin popped back up.

I dont have a speaker to see if its posting but everything spins up like before, but ive noticed a couple things

Keyboard does not flash
If i plug a USB mouse in ALL the way, it goes right out, if i plug it in half way till it lights up it stays on for about 2 sec then goes out.

PSU mabye. amd rules?:D A short somewhere? I did try my other one but its a POS to. I can get a voltmeter easier than another PSU right now, just need to look up what kind of power it should be putting out.

Until then im going to pull the MB and power it up outside the case to make sure its not shorting somewhere on the case.

OK i finally got it narrowed down.

I pulled the heatsink and booted it.
I carefully put the heatsink back in and lock it down.....no boot.

After a while i saw i could just unlock the heatsink and the comuter would boot, sometimes though i would have to reseat the CPU in order for it to work. Sometimes i could lock it down and it would boot, but if i even move the computer, back to no boot.

So is this a bad cpu?, heatsink?, mb? It appears there is some sort of shorting going on when anything is moved at all. any suggestions guys?

I am seating the cpu correctly per the instructions, push down on the middle of the cpu while locking to place, so i dont think its me.

Back