help with a build for a friend

imgneevrythng

Weaksauce
my friends father wants to get a new comp...just the tower. hes got a monitor and all the other jazz. what hes lookin for is a simple computer for music, burning cds, and just some minor video editing of like family videos.

i havent been keepin up to date with pc parts since i built mine in feb, so im not sure what is out there.

his price limit is $700. thats the highest he'll go, but anything lower is better. hed perfer to go off of Dell since he can make monthly payments. so i was wondering if someone could just post some specs he could look out for when building one off of Dell?

i found what i think is a good deal with this dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643&acd=10495476-600263-

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200
6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
640GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Final Price: $699 - $125 + $39 = $613.00 Shipped

the video card is intergrated, which should be enough since hes not really huge into editing. just simple home movies.

Check out a bargain-hunting site like Slick Deals or Got Apex for some specials on a Dell or some other pre-built models. There is a list of additional sites in the GenHard FAQ.

Basically, what you have is on the right track. For video editing, a quad core processor (along the lines of at least an Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom/Phenom II), 4GB of DDR2 RAM, a 16x (or faster) DVD burner, and onboard video is really all that you need.

If the video editing is very minor (or if he renders/encodes overnight), he could be fine with a dual core E7400 system for around $400-$500 (including monitor and OS). But if he renders/encodes on the fly, then the quad system you posted would be perfect. What monitor does he have? These new monitors are so cheap these days, he may want to upgrade. :p

Back