Help with 4820k overclock please

dmoney1980

Gawd
Hello everyone!

I have limited experience with overclocking, and was wondering if I can get some expert advice here to stabilize my OC. The settings below will result in 1 core error during prime, yet temps and stability seem fine.

Please take a look and let me know which settings I need to adjust.

The rig
Asus x79 Pro http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79_PRO/
16GB gskill 1866 RAM (8-9-9-24) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231539
Noctua NH D-14 cooler
Windows 8.1 pro

Here are the BIOS screenshots

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks in advance!

Not many people have this bastard child over priced and gimped with no igpu 3570k for socket 2011 CPU.

Hope you have some luck with it.

Last edited:
^ Well to be fair, it's probably closer to a 3770K with additional PCIE lanes and vt-d.

OP: You can probably try raising vcore a little to maybe 1.25 and help with the p95 runs. You should probably use Manual mode instead of Offset for the meantime in order to lock down the target voltage you need. If you want to use offset mode after that, you can work backwards from the target voltage.

Also, you may want to lower your OC from 4.5 to maybe 4.2 to give you an idea of how voltage requirement scales with your desired clockspeed.

Also, you may want to start tweaking the Load Line Calibration instead of using Auto.

I don't have experience in OCing a SB/IB rig but there are a lot of guides that you can probably take with a grain of salt as most reviews use 49xx processors and are probably more generous with voltages than I'd personally like (but hey I don't do extreme overclocks either).

HardOCP Ivy Bridge 6 core OCing
Anandtech
Forum post on OCN

Hope this helps and maybe some w/ experience on the 4820K can be of more help.

^ Well to be fair, it's probably closer to a 3770K with additional PCIE lanes and vt-d.

OP: You can probably try raising vcore a little to maybe 1.25 and help with the p95 runs. You should probably use Manual mode instead of Offset for the meantime in order to lock down the target voltage you need. If you want to use offset mode after that, you can work backwards from the target voltage.

Also, you may want to lower your OC from 4.5 to maybe 4.2 to give you an idea of how voltage requirement scales with your desired clockspeed.

Also, you may want to start tweaking the Load Line Calibration instead of using Auto.

I don't have experience in OCing a SB/IB rig but there are a lot of guides that you can probably take with a grain of salt as most reviews use 49xx processors and are probably more generous with voltages than I'd personally like (but hey I don't do extreme overclocks either).

HardOCP Ivy Bridge 6 core OCing
Anandtech
Forum post on OCN

Hope this helps and maybe some w/ experience on the 4820K can be of more help.

The 3770k beats it in almost everything. The only upside to the 3820 is the ability to support more cards at x16 and the pros of the x79 chipset in general. I would say a decently overclocked 3570k will match it easily and as they are hard to overclock and the 3570k isnt.. :D

Well the OP is using a 4820 so I guess it should be just about equal to a 3770?

Guys lets keep it OT and in line with the OPs question, their chip, their choice. Lets see if we can help, rather than question his purchase / parts choices .

@ OP Wish I could help man, no x79 experience here, and only limited OCing since 1366 for me.

i have a 3820 which has multi up to 43. i have my CPU strap at 125mhz and multi of 38 netting me 4.75 ghz stable. i don't know what vcore as that is set to auto and i don't run windows on that box (esxi).

i know the 4820k is unlocked, so you could try and stick with multiplier OC, but as someone else suggested, try raising VCore. otherwise see if the cpu is ok with a cpu strap bump up to 125 mhz, this way you can use less multiplier.

Back