• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with 2.1 setup under $400

Eej

n00b
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
32
I'm moving into a condo in a few weeks and I'm going to set up a HTPC/Gaming rig and hook it up to my HDTV. Audio systems aren't really my forte and I've been looking up speakers and receivers but I don't have much experience with figuring what meshes well together. I'm basically looking for a setup that provides some good sound for watching movies and playing games on both PC (don't play that many FPS anymore so surround isn't such a big deal) and 360.

I'm hoping for a speaker/sub/amp combo somewhere between $300-$400. I was looking at the AV123 ELT525s with a Dayton 10" sub and Dayton DTA-1 amp but I'm not sure if that's a good combo. I'm no audiophile but I'm pretty sure the difference between onboard and an X-Fi would be somewhat noticeable so I'm also looking around for a card for that as well.

For a reference of what sound "quality" I'm used to, I have Logitech Z-560s and an X-Fi XtremeMusic on my old rig (which I'm not taking with me).
 
I dont know about that amp at all, never used or read about one. I have the etl525's with the gizmoa from tweak city audio and highly recommend, especially if you are using a sub. It has basic eq adjustments, a crossover, and a variable sub out too. Its like $110 and matches the av123's to boot.

Gizmo
 
With all the drama at av123 regarding poorly designed/manufactured amps, missed shipping dates, preselling speakers that never materialize, and questionable charity practices, I wouldn't buy an apple from the sumbitches. But I also don't know what I'd recommend in that price range. If you were willing to step up your budget a little bit I'd recommend the entry level offerings from Ascend or Hsu.
 
With all the drama at av123 regarding poorly designed/manufactured amps, missed shipping dates, preselling speakers that never materialize, and questionable charity practices, I wouldn't buy an apple from the sumbitches. But I also don't know what I'd recommend in that price range. If you were willing to step up your budget a little bit I'd recommend the entry level offerings from Ascend or Hsu.

It's not made by av123...? Craig at tweak audio city orders the parts himself and had a guy design it.
 
Something to consider: If you watch movies from bed, a remote control might be a nice thing to have. Don't know if the aforementioned amps have remotes but an inexpensive receiver does.
 
For lower end receivers, I'm a Yamaha fan. That's what I've got in my living room powering my JBL speakers. You can get them for pretty cheap for example the HTR-6130 should run you in the range of $160. In particular, their amp quality is pretty solid for cheap devices. It seems to be able to output some decent power and not go nuts on the distortion. Being a 5.1 receiver means you can add more speakers later, of course.

As for speakers, I haven't done much looking in the price range you'd be talking after getting a receiver. In general If you want speakers and a sub I'd say you are looking at some very small, cheap speakers. Those can always be moved to rears later and you get some better front speakers.
 
The etl525 speakers are pretty good. Tweak city audio has the speakers listed on their website too that are in a similar price range as the av123's. They start shipping this month I believe.
 
Back
Top