Help with 12 GB kit real quick

istrike

Weaksauce
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
65
Well I was going to buy the OCZ 1600 Platinum kit from tigerdirect here but it recently went from $195 to $240 in a matter of a day. So I am looking to explore my toher options and it really leaves me to these two kits:

OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)


or

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)


The OCZ has tighter timings at 8-8-8-24 and 1.65V but the Corsair as lower voltage at 9-9-9-24 and 1.6V I just was wondering which is more important. Having ram with tighter timings or lower voltage. I am not opposed to overclocking the RAM, so i was thinking that the lower voltage will help later because I can get it to run faster timings than the OCZ would ever be able to. Thoughts?
 
Lower stock voltages can often give you more headroom to overclock, but a difference of .05V might not be as big as you're hoping.

If cost is a factor, there's also the $40 differential in price to consider. The real-world impact of 8-8-8 vs. 9-9-9 is negligible, whereas $40 dollars in your pocket might not be.
 
my 12GB gets hot
I don't know how much difference 0.05V would make, but it couldn't hurt
 
Back
Top