Help Wiring a DSLAM

xtropx

n00b
I am trying to learn as much as I can about telecom networking/cabling and I have the opportunity to work with and test out a DSLAM. However, I am having a bit of trouble sorting out how to wire the darn thing. I have the PSU which looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/BSw0Bou.jpg
This tests 54v from the bottom two wires on the left and 54v from the two input connections on the right which I do not understand because they say 48v. The DSLAM this PSU is meant for is rated for -48v so I am worried about damaging the DLAM with the incorrect voltage. I am not sure I know how to test the amperage since I don't really get a reading from my multimeter when I set it to test amps.
The next problem I am running into is finding a cable/plug to connect the PSU to the DSLAM. The DSLAM is missing this little modular plug and for the life of me I cannot find where to order one:
http://i.imgur.com/Arfa3tw.jpg
should be something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Y4MfmWw.jpg

Anyone willing to lend me a hand?

oooo geek boner, would be fun to play with telcom grade stuff like that. There are rows of Stinger DSLAM's in the very building I'm posting from now but I'm not going to go touch them. :D

-48v is basically putting the positive on ground instead of negative. So the return is going to the positive which is also grounded to common earth ground, and the -48v is going to the negative. Typically in a telco situation this would be a bank of 2 volt cells that is also being fed by -48v rectifiers. would actually be running at around 54 volts as that is the float voltage to keep the batteries charged.

Adtran is a fairly popular company as far as telcom stuff, so you may be able to contact them about the adapter, but worse case scenario you can probably put some terminal blocks. Since it only wants a few amps it's not like you need anything that is too heavy duty.

Actually, sounds like the PSU you have is basically a recitifer. So batteries most likely go on the 48v inputs and 54 output would be any equipment such as the dslam. Is there an AC input on that PSU? If not, then this may not be what I think it is.

Did you try searching the model numbers for manuals?

I remember those

If I remember correctly the "inputs" that are on the PSU are for batteries in (also battery charge). Output goes to the equipment.

Wire the PSU to the "A" input on the dslam. Top "a" & "b" things are fuses.

Standard amphenol connector output good for 25pr of ADSL2+.

Easy peasy.

I play with alcatel-lucent 7330's and 7550's BTW...

Good luck. We have really old adtran 1200s at work, and we are suppose to upgrade them with slightly less old 1200's. I have never messed with dslams though. It's kinda confusing.

Geek boner is right. I can't get enough of this kind of stuff. :D

Actually, sounds like the PSU you have is basically a recitifer. So batteries most likely go on the 48v inputs and 54 output would be any equipment such as the dslam. Is there an AC input on that PSU? If not, then this may not be what I think it is.

Originally designed for the Total Access 1500 system, the PS/BC can be used in any application using 120 VAC input, and requiring up to –54 VDC, 6‐amps output.
In the Total Access 1500 configuration, the rectifier performs AC to DC conversion and, when used with the dual battery, provides up to eight hours of backup power for a fully populated Total Access 1500 bank (96 FXS circuits) with up to 50 percent off‐hook circuits at any one time. :eek:
For general use, the rectifier receives AC power from a standard 120 VAC wall outlet and
converts this to –54 VDC, 6‐amp output to the designated load plus recharging the single or dual battery, or maintaining battery at peak charge. Each battery has four series connected 12 volt rechargeable cells.

Managed to dig up a manual somewhere. Was not too easy to find.

So yeah this should be the right part. I contacted Adtran before buying it - trying to do this by the book to get the best "real world" simulation I can.

So you guys are thinking I can just wire up (-) to (-) and (+) to (+) and I should be good to go and console in?

I think you would be fine, just ensure that you do not ground the negative battery terminal to earth ground, but ground the positive one. You don't need to ground it at all, but in a proper setup it would be grounded. I think there's a few guys here who are more familiar than I am with telco stuff though, so wait to see if they chime in in case I'm wrong. If you don't care about battery run time/backup you can probably skip having a battery bank. If you do use batteries ensure the unit has a way to set the float voltage as you'll want to match it to the battery type. Gel cells need a bit higher float than flooded acid, I believe. So depends what type you get.

The DSLAM is missing this little modular plug and for the life of me I cannot find where to order one:
http://i.imgur.com/Arfa3tw.jpg
should be something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Y4MfmWw.jpg

Anyone willing to lend me a hand?

Like this? Might not be the exact one you need but I'm sure mouser has it if you look around some. As far as voltage goes you should be fine, we've had some dslams running under -48v for a few days while we waited on some spare parts and didn't notice any ill effects. Just need a terminal block/punch down block w/ an amphenol cable on it and you'll be good to go.

Yeah most telco devices have a decent range they can operate on. I've seen some CDMA and HSPA equipment keep going even at below 44 volts. That is extreme critical state to be in though and not very good on the batteries. Cell sites are tricky as some can take several hours to get to with a generator.

I have a TA1248V(VDSL2 Flavor) sitting in my lab now. We have several hosts and clients deployed in large MDU's to provide high speed internet, sub-1000 foot loop lengths we easily see 100 Mb down and 50+ Mb up train rates. Should be testing some VDSL2 bonding in the near future and curious to see what we get there.

Wow did not figure any DSL could go that fast! Come to think of it, I don't think our external DSL connection at work is even configured as DSL2... and it's INSIDE the CO. The local loop is very local. :D

Interesting stuff! I looked through some of the Adtran documents last night. I've always been a fan of their products.

It is pretty interesting. Has been a learning experience thus far for sure. Most of the adtran products I have ever worked with have been pretty solid - had some netvanta gigabit switches I used for a small collapsed-core lab network at my college - very easy to work with. Very "ciscoey" CLI...

Another thing I have been wondering and you guys might find this interesting as well, this is the network module:
Ax0sCRQ.jpg

Would be cool if it was fiber like the Zhone / Paradyne dslams, but oh well. This DSLAM was super cheap compared to some of those, even used. But my question is how do I connect this to my cisco 3725?? Would it be using something like this module here:

p1W6Tsp.jpg

Also raises the question: This is T1 (well, ATM over T1)...and you bond them so thats 4x1.536 Mb/s = 6.144Mbps - so is this DSLAM really limited to splitting ~6Mbps between up to 96 subscribers?? :eek: Or do I misunderstand the interfaces and speeds here?

I have a TA1248V(VDSL2 Flavor) sitting in my lab now. We have several hosts and clients deployed in large MDU's to provide high speed internet, sub-1000 foot loop lengths we easily see 100 Mb down and 50+ Mb up train rates. Should be testing some VDSL2 bonding in the near future and curious to see what we get there.

Also, very jealous man - the TA1248V is quite nice. Gig uplinks, and VDSL is pretty sweet. How did you come by yours? Mind sketching up a quick wiring diagram? :D

Interesting how Adtran restricts documents on the 1248 series. I had no problem viewing manuals for the other stuff you posted.

It is pretty interesting. Has been a learning experience thus far for sure. Most of the adtran products I have ever worked with have been pretty solid - had some netvanta gigabit switches I used for a small collapsed-core lab network at my college - very easy to work with. Very "ciscoey" CLI...

Another thing I have been wondering and you guys might find this interesting as well, this is the network module:
Ax0sCRQ.jpg

Would be cool if it was fiber like the Zhone / Paradyne dslams, but oh well. This DSLAM was super cheap compared to some of those, even used. But my question is how do I connect this to my cisco 3725?? Would it be using something like this module here:

p1W6Tsp.jpg

Also raises the question: This is T1 (well, ATM over T1)...and you bond them so thats 4x1.536 Mb/s = 6.144Mbps - so is this DSLAM really limited to splitting ~6Mbps between up to 96 subscribers?? :eek: Or do I misunderstand the interfaces and speeds here?

I wonder if this was maybe a unit typically used on the roadside for rural areas. It could very well be possible it's only a couple T1s. Though maybe there's a way to do Ethernet too.

I wonder if this was maybe a unit typically used on the roadside for rural areas. It could very well be possible it's only a couple T1s. Though maybe there's a way to do Ethernet too.

Most likely one of it's uses, doubtful it was ment for deployment in a CO. There's plenty of Ethernet ones too.

Middle shelf there is an AFC/Tellabs UMC 1000 - fed by fiber in this picture (5th card from the right, 2 on the far right are the PSU cards, 2 next to that are the CPU cards, others are a combination of POTS/ADSL/T1 Cards). Back end of that shelf was hooked up to an old 3660 with an OC3 card. Some of our shelfs were fed by T1's but they only provided POTS.

Blue blade on the bottom is an Occam/Calix 6252-02, it's fed by GigE on the same fiber (CWDM splitter shelf in there, 1310nm for the AFC, 1550nm for the Occam). It'll do 48 ports of ADSL2+ and POTS on that blade.
y7vvLOf.jpg

I oversee network engineering for a small FTTP telecommunications company company, we use the VDSL DSLAM's to serve last 1000 ft in large MDU's so we can serve IPTV and high speed internet to users where it's too costly to pull all new fiber in.

Just following up on this maybe someone will be interested to see I eventually found some time to figure this out and get it going.

Connected it right to this old PDU I found at a thrift store in case I saw sparks I could shut it down immediately. This is a little power supply I bought special from jameco. I have the ORIGINAL power supply for this but it is HUGE. Tested with multimeter before connecting to the DSLAM and we are at -47.9

dplAqPq.jpg

In the rack. Impossible to find the right mounting brackets so I doubled up some brackets for Cisco 2600's and longer screws.

dBYFXNe.jpg

Console!

MzbRd3l.jpg

Now I just have to find a pre-wired amphenol connector and see if I can get IP access through the DSLAM to some modems.

Why you ask?
I'm helpdesk and work isn't cutting me in on anything. Hard to get any experience when you aren't given anything to work on/with so I figure I have to invest a little money and learn on my own.

Last edited:
Where are you located? I have plenty of extra 25 pair cable with amphenol connectors.

Shoot me a PM.

probably could, and cheaper/quicker then a lot of the DSL in my area. although, i am actually not certain what this dslam is fully capable of...

Very cool project! I've looked on ebay a few times for an older adtran DSLAM for this exact purpose.

Back