Help, Why doesn't WinXP like my Computer?

Hi Guys,

I've been having major problems with windows XP and my computer. Within the last month I have probably have had to repair or reinstall a copy of winXP about 20 times! I have installed the version that came w/ my comp, the HP version of home and I thought that the reason it was giving me problems was because it was the HP version so I acquired myself a version of XP Pro hoping that maybe this would solve the problems. Well it didn't. The problems I have been recieving have been ones where windows cannot start because it is missing vital files that windows needs. Is this my failing hardware, cuz if it is I still have my warranty til Feb of 2k5 and can get any hardware replaced. I need some suggestions on what you guys think is wrong with my computer, I've done everything I know, low level hdd formats, you know the works. The only things I just thought of right now that I haven't done is a RAM test, but im pretty damn sure the ram is fine, and a thrid party HDD scan (did all of the ones included w/ windows). Can you recommend any free aps that could do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Matt

I know your problem.... You bought an HP. I have been having mucho troubles with mine.... I had that same problem, I simply reformated and reinstalled..... But I had to buy a winxp cd because HP was gay and wouldnt give me one, or even fix it even though the waranty didnt run out......

To check the RAM: Memtest

As for the other things to consider:
  1. Have you overclocked?
  2. Have you disabled services?
  3. Have you installed 3rd party "tweak" programs?
  4. Do you use Kazaa?
  5. What things have you tweaked yourself in XP?
Answering those things will help us figure out your problem.

For testing memory download memtest86. You can get it at www.memtest86.com
It makes a bootable floppy so if you don't have a floppy drive and have cd-burner, download the ultimate boot cd from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ , but the image to a cd and run memtest86 from it.
There are also some good hard drive testing utilities on the ultimate boot cd so I would recommend that if you can burn it.

Missing or corrupt file errors even after a fresh install are usually because of:

1. Bad RAM
2. Bad Power supply
3. Bad Northbridge resulting in corrupt data communication between everything
4. Overclocking past system's safe potential
5. Bad CPU

Check your RAM and power supply first. CPU is difficult to do if you don't have a spare to use or a spare Motherboard to check if your current motherboard is bad. Most likely it's a hardware problem and you should take it back to the ship before the warranty runs out.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input, I've never overclocked it and haven't even really 'tweaked' anything at all! I don't use Kazaa and I'm not sure what mean by disabling services but I use programs that let my stop programs from starting that I don't want or are unnecesary. I'm gonna DL memtest and that boot CD and im gonna give HP a call, they always have been good to me when I call, so that is not a problem, just as long as I get someone who's native language is english... LOL. Well, any other suggestions are very much welcomed. Oh, yea, how would I test my Power Supply, and Northbridge? Thanks, I really would like to solve this problem cuz this is the only good comp I have running right now until I finish building my other one. Thanks again guys!

-Matt

I don't use Kazaa and I'm not sure what mean by disabling services but I use programs that let my stop programs from starting that I don't want or are unnecesary.
Try not running those programs and see how things work.

The Northbridge is built into the motherboard. The only way to test is to replace the motherboard with one that you KNOW for a fact is good, same goes for the power supply.
Since it's an HP I'd advise you to call them before the warranty's up. Replacing parts may give them enough reason to void your remaining warranty.

do you know what kind of drive it uses? maybe it is a faulty hard drive. possibly there is a drive test program from the (drive) manufacture.

you can find out what the drive is in device manger unless it is diguised as "hp" (this doesnt happen much anymore)
if you cant get to windows maybe you can change the bios to not show the splash screen and press pause when it detects the drives. the boot process stops on most systems when you press pause.

in addition to possibilities above, have you checked the optical drive. i've seen a few (but not many) that act this way when the cd or dvd drive is starting to fail. good luck

If it will not work using the restore CD's that came with your computer, it is likely the computer should be returned for a warantee replacement. Thats why you have a warantee... at very least, phone the manufacturer, and they should be able to give you some advice... they are on the hook for that machine for the next 6 weeks or so.

There is one think you might not have tried...

when you install windows, be sure it is NOT connected to the internet, or at very least connected through a hardware firewall.

I have done tests, and have seen a computer be infected after an install of pre-service pack one XP be infected in under 90 seconds.

Anyways, good luck.. :)

-Skystalker

Skystalker said:
If it will not work using the restore CD's that came with your computer, it is likely the computer should be returned for a warantee replacement. Thats why you have a warantee... at very least, phone the manufacturer, and they should be able to give you some advice... they are on the hook for that machine for the next 6 weeks or so.

There is one think you might not have tried...

when you install windows, be sure it is NOT connected to the internet, or at very least connected through a hardware firewall.

I have done tests, and have seen a computer be infected after an install of pre-service pack one XP be infected in under 90 seconds.

Anyways, good luck.. :)

-Skystalker

Record's a minute thus far. That's why I have a firewall with all but mail, FTP and Web ports blocked.

Hi again guys,

My comp got F*d up again before I could totally download UBCD, I restarted it after I installed UT2k4 on my partition and after the windows boot screen I just stayed black, this I believe happened before when I installed UT2k4 after I had a mess happen, but UT2k4 was not the reason every time because I didn't install it everytime the computer messed up. I just thought I'd let you guys know about this and that this may give you an Idea of whats maybe wrong.

Thanks
-Matt

ScreamingBroccoli said:
BTW, I have 56k, not DSL so when you guys talk about disconnecting to the net, it shouldn't be a problem.

Okay... but you can still get something while you are connected unpatched to the 'net and get something while you are updating with windows update.

So, less likely? Yea... Still possible,

-Skystalker

Sometimes this does this without me even connecting to the internet, so its highly unlikely that this could be the problem

CmaN3 said:
I know your problem.... You bought an HP. I have been having mucho troubles with mine.... I had that same problem, I simply reformated and reinstalled..... But I had to buy a winxp cd because HP was gay and wouldnt give me one, or even fix it even though the waranty didnt run out......

Oh...okay. You had a software problem and it's HP's fault? Really? Here's a thought....learn enough to know where to point the blame. Do you know why HP's don't come with XP CDs? Because MS charges an arm and a leg to include an actual CD. Did you want to pay more for your PC? I didn't think so. So again, I fail to see how any of this is HP's fault.

Back