Help! WHS (VM) won't start

rhouck

2[H]4U
I had a freak loss of power to my server (ironically I did not lose power to my house, but the UPC randomly shut itself off...).

My setup is Windows Server 2008 R2 with a VM of Windows Home Server.

Upon rebooting Windows Server 2008, I went into Hyper-V manager and attempted to start the WHS VM. I received the following error message:

rk8sk8.jpg

I have another VM on this server (Windows 7) that started/runs just fine.

Ideas? I'm obviously loathe to muck around too much since this has all my data...

Edit:

The two relevant errors from the event log:

33cn5mf.jpg

120rnfo.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

It appears the issue was that two hard drives are no longer showing up. I had to remove the two entries under SCSI controller for the passthru drives that have since disappeared and then it booted successfully.

Now to figure out why 3.5 TB of data dropped out and hope that either 1) I can get it back or 2) duplication did not put both the original and the duplicate on those two drives! :(

Update 2:

Apparently when the power failure caused a hard reboot, two of the drives that were offline and in passthrough mode decided to come back online. After putting them in offline mode and reading them as passthrough drives, WHS again booted successfully and all data is intact.

I'm not sure what caused the drives to randomly switch back to "online" but oh well, it is fixed now. The server had been up without a reboot since October 2009 so I can't really complain about it's stability so far, more irritated by the UPC spazzing out and causing this issue in the first place. This also reminds me that I need to go through and label which drives are in which bay...

Last edited:
Back