• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help!!! which one? VX924 or VP930b

A

altcon

Guest
I ordered a Viewsonic VX924 LCD monitor about a month ago. Due to supply issues the monitor hasn't arrived yet.
Meanwhile, the price of the VP930b has dropped to about a $20 difference.
Now I'm REALLY stumped....
Should I stick with the VX924? or go with the VP930b?
Pros and cons I've managed to pick up looking at reviews an customer reviews:
VX924:
Pros:
1) Really fast response time
2) Crisp text for reading
3) Very uniform lighting
4) Very little backlight bleeding
Cons:
1) 6 bit panel
2) no adjustments (no portrait mode)
3) Very slim viewing angles (due to the natire of the panel)

VP930b:
1) Color contrast 1:1000
2) 8 bit panel
3) Adjustable in every way
4) Great for most things including color work
Cons:
1) Many gamers rated it as a bit slow (8ms)
2) X backlight bleeding issue noted at every forum
3) 20$ more expensive (not really an issue...)

My needs are:
Surfing and Reading (most of the time) , Gaming (need high response mainly FPS), movies (once in a while).

Which would you choose and why?
and whoever has any one of these I'd love your input.
Help?? (only two days more till my monitor arrives - so VERY short time frame to decide)

LINKS( though not necessraily reliable ones):
VP930 : http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/17/viewsonic_vp930_lcd_monitor/index.html
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review-viewsonic-vp930.html
VX924:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/02/viewsonic_vx924/
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review_viewsonic_vx924.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-compensation_18.html
 
I personally have the VX910 (16ms) and I don't see any ghosting or anything of such caliber. Go with the 930b because it has the 8-bit color depth.
 
Shottah_king said:
Well the white x that will appear on the VP930b might be troublesome. I had teh vp930b and wasn't satisfied. On the VX series a lot of people complain about the screen door effect. How about you try the Hyundai Q90u 3ms monitor. It has height adjustment and its fast enough for games and its inexpensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179027
Out of all the reviews I've read and screens I've seen on display, I'm going to buy Viewsonic anyway, about that I'm sure.
It's just this latest development that's shaken my confidence as to which of the two I should get....
 
altcon said:
Out of all the reviews I've read and screens I've seen on display, I'm going to buy Viewsonic anyway, about that I'm sure.
It's just this latest development that's shaken my confidence as to which of the two I should get....

Get the VP930b. In the long run you'll be happier with it. The VX924 is a 6-bit TN panel and isn't much good for anything but gaming. The VP930b is a true 8-bit MVA panel and is good for most everything.

The X backlight bleeding is only an issue if you run the brightness too high. The reason a lot of people complain about it is most likely due to running it at 100% brightness, which on this monitor would kill your eyes. 40% brightness is more normal for the VP930b. When looking at a black sceen in the dark the bleeding is very faint. And it's not really an "X" pattern. The bleeding is just in the extreme corners. On mine I only notice it in the upper corners. While gaming it's barely visible.

Games play and look excellent on the VP930b. This monitor is fast enough for gaming. If there is any ghosting you're probably never going to notice it.

One thing about the VP930b is that you will need to calibrate it. The default color rendering isn't perfect, but the included software will allow you to correct it. The default gamma is also set to high. This is easily fixed using your video card gamma control.
 
Thank you for your candid advice, I switched my order to the VP930b.
Hopefully this week I will report back what it's like....
 
The X backlight bleeding is only an issue if you run the brightness too high.

From my experience, even turning down the brightness still retains backlight bleeding, perhaps a tiny bit less, but it's still quite there.
 
currygoat11 said:
From my experience, even turning down the brightness still retains backlight bleeding, perhaps a tiny bit less, but it's still quite there.

Yeah, no matter what I tried the white X was still there. I didn't see any ghosting with the monitor but I definitely saw motion blur. The static image quality of the monitor is very good but once you turn on a 3D game like UT2k4 or GTA San Andreas its all over (Blur City).
 
Shottah_king said:
Yeah, no matter what I tried the white X was still there. I didn't see any ghosting with the monitor but I definitely saw motion blur. The static image quality of the monitor is very good but once you turn on a 3D game like UT2k4 or GTA San Andreas its all over (Blur City).
All LCDs have motion blur to some extent.
 
Back
Top