Help, Which Dig Camera for about $300?

Deadpool9

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning on buying a new digital camera with money I get for christmas.
I would like something that is point and shoot (wife will be using it too), and has decent image quality, and takes clear pictures.
I currently have an olympus d-360 which takes pictures on a smart-media card. The quality is decent I guess (for a 1.3MP) but I blur a lot of pictures because it does not take them very quickly.
I would like something that is at least 4.0MP and pretty fast on snapping the pictures off, and hopefully in the $300 range or less. Something compact (No SLR) would be best.
So far, I have looked at the Nikon Coolpix 4200 (4MP), and the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P93 (5MP).
I dont know much about the Canon's or any others for that matter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I was just about to pose this same question.... I have had good experinces with Nikons, but I have heard the 4xxxx series is not as good as the 3xxx and 5xxx series.

Could someone help a brother out?

spend just a tad more and get a V1 from B&H , a reputable seller @ $320. even less if you really hunt for a better deal. it's a great point & shoot when set to auto mode, but also doubles as a prosumer cam with lots of manual features. also has great low light focus due to sony's laser auto foucs system (hologram AF)

read up on some reviews, they are all favorable. amd it's not much larger than the p93.

I have a Canon A80 which I think is great. It's small enough to fit comfortably in my front pocket but it's a bit bulkier and heavier than most digicams in it's class because it uses 4 AA bats. But the extra 2 give it much longer life, about 800 shots using NiMH. It has a smallish LCD (1.5 inch), but it flips out and rotates to make it easier to take over head shots. It's a pretty good point-N-shoot but it also has manual settings and 2 custom settings slots. I've got a 512MB CF card for mine and at the highest quality setting, I can fit about 120 pics on it.

Most of the reviews I've read said that Canon lenses are the best. You can also add on different lenses with the use of an adapter. I've got a .7 wide-angle lens for it so far and have 3x telephoto lens on order.

You definitely should be able to find one for <$300.

Canon A95:

Newest from the "A" line from canon
5 MP
3x zoom
shutter speed of 1/2000sec to 15 seconds (no more camera shake/blur)
Movies
Good continous shot option. 2 FPS for 14 frames
flip-out & twist LCD screen (very handy)

Good luck with your decision. And remember, it's better to start taking shots than wait forever on deciding what to take the shots with. ;)

Canon S1 IS. You should be able to get it for about $320. I love mine. A very usefull camera for the money. Plus the 10x zoom is great.

the dsc-v1 is $299 at Ritz camera and it comes with a $20 gift certificate, camera case, and 64mb sony. just picked one up yesterday

lorcani said:
Where can I find this? Is it still available? If it is, it may be worth picking up. :)

Thats was a one week promo, I doubt it's still available. There will probaly be better promos as x-mas approaches.

ryaneverett said:
Thats was a one week promo, I doubt it's still available. There will probaly be better promos as x-mas approaches.
I know Pricegrabber has this deal, but you have to buy a photo printer as well. :(

Back