Help!!! Webserver setup kicking my butt!!

rsnellma

Gawd
I am using Windows XP Pro with IIS. I have a registered domain name and now I need to tackle connecting my hosting PCs IP to the domain name. How do I go about this? I cannot find anything on XP Pro for a DNS Server service. Is it possible for me to host everything from my home? Or do I still need interaction with my ISP, TimeWarner? They are not blocking port 80, at this time. Could I just use one of my TimeWarner DNS IPs as a name server?

I have a SMC Router which supports DDNS options, DynDNS.org and No-IP.com are a couple of the options. Do I need to setup a Windows 2000 or 2003 server and use the DNS Server services to host everything from home? Or do I need to do something else? I can type in the IP Address and see it on the web, but not sure how to attach my newly registered domain name to my web server.

My SMC router has a section for DDNS, but the part that I am confused about is it asks for a host. Let's say for example, my domain is www.faith.org and the computer that is running IIS is named Bob, would I put the hostname: Bob.faith.org in that section of the router? If not then I am really lost, please help. It is probably simple, but I am needing my sign or clues or something. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

First you need your DNS hosted by someone that is listed as a DNS provider. For example, no-ip.com or someone else. You then setup an account with them, then setup your DNS. Usually they charge a few $$ for this type of thing. Sometimes you can find a friend that runs a DNS service.

so if you IP address is 10.2.2.110 you would need an entry that says:

mydomain.tla. A 10.2.2.110

Then maybe some Cnames for WWW, FTP, etc.

www.mydomain.tla. C mydomain.tla.
ftp.mydomain.tla C mydomain.tla.
www.otherdomain.tla C mydomain.tla.

DNS doesn't really care what your machine thinks it is. To give you an idea. I have a machine who thinks it is Etoh. However according to DNS it is WWW, FTP, MAIL, Parn, and several other host names.

Back