[Help Wanted] GPU Replacement (Sub-$150) Requested

jcdenton2k

n00b
Here is the current (running) build that I'm using
Only difference is I'm using the non-EVO version of that Cooler-Master CPU cooler, but that wasn't listed.

My MSI GTX 560 Ti Graphics Card finally had the fans die on me (first one, then the other sputtered and died as well) so I'm left with a problem.

I can't run my computer for gaming without burning up my GPU (and causing a bugcheck) so I need a new one. I'm also looking at replacing the fans on my 560 Ti before I resell it or I can salvage it somehow. A quick glance at Amazon showed the replacement fans go for ~$25 shipped.

That said, need some advice on a new GPU. Must be sub-$150 after rebates since I'm planning to only keep this computer for a few more years before doing a complete replace. I'd do one right now but money isn't flowing as freely as it used to be.

I was looking at this 750 Ti for a possible replacement but not 100% on whether that is a good deal or not. Was hoping for an Nvidia GPU if possible (blame game devs for using Nvidia-specific code too often). I honestly wish I'd previously gotten a PNY card since their 5-year warranty beats the pants off of MSI and EVGA cards measly 3-year warranties.

Any helpful responses are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

I don't know if I'd invest that much money in fans for an older card like that. I'd just rig up some case fans I have in my closet, but that's just me. There's probably someone willing to buy it that would do that as well.

The 750/Ti are some great cards for the money, but if you want to buy something used you might be able to step up a step for the same money.

I was gonna say get a used 7970 or 280x off of Ebay, but you said you want Nvidia.... just get something used.

The 760 is a lot faster than the 750ti, There are a bunch of Ebay for right at 160. Even saw a few a bit cheaper.

I see almost no point in spending a premium for brand new video cards anymore.

As always it depends on what games you play , resolution and pc specs

The 760 does seem like a good choice

**UPDATE**
So I decided to hold off on replacing the GPU and will go for replacing the fans. I found the part that I needed on ebay (Part #PLD08010S12HH) for $8 and will get it in a week. That sporadic issue with the (only) running fan was fixed with some lubricant, for now. I'll repeat the lubricant stuff as needed until I get the replacement fans. Since my GPU is running ~58C at load with just one fan; I don't feel like shelling $100+ for a new card right now. This fan issue seems to be very widespread and I'm glad mine ran for ~4 years without issues before it finally started derping out on me. Seems MSI warranty is garbage based on what others have said.

Original Post
Found this GeForce GTX 750Ti on Newegg for $120 shipped. I know I could wait and get it for $100 shipped as said in one of the reviews on that page, but I'm in a bit of a no-GPU mode unless I get something NOW. My budget is a bit limited or I'd gladly drop $200ish on a nicer 900+ series GPU. But by the time of the next upgrade in 2020, that 900 series will be 3-4 generations old anyways.

TigerDirect was offering a better PNY version of this card with slightly better default clock speeds (but only one fan); unfortunately they were charging me $11+ tax and $5+ shipping. NO WAY! *shakes fist at stupid/greedy/useless FL state politicians*

I still don't like/trust the ATI video card drivers compared to the ease of use and features of the Nvidia Drivers. Not perfect, but Nvidia still tends to have the edge in software drivers for the most part. Blame lazy devs, but many major games have had issues with ATI cards because of Nvidia-specific coding for additional PhysX features.

My next major upgrade around the year 2020 will be Intel CPU and either ATI or Nvidia depending on who is the leader in price/performance ratio.

So questions for the [H]Forum:
-The reviews say GigaByte is a good brand. What says the [H]ardForum?
-Is the deal linked in this post with the GigaByte card a good deal to get now?

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy the GTX 750 Ti because it's not a performance improvement over what you have now.

Find a way to fix the fans, and save up for at least a GTX 960, which is about 70% faster.

I wouldn't buy the GTX 750 Ti because it's not a performance improvement over what you have now.

Find a way to fix the fans, and save up for at least a GTX 960, which is about 70% faster.

Agreed. It's not going to be a huge improvement unless you need the extra 1GB VRAM that the 750 Ti has or you enjoy the potential power savings. Either way it's going to be pretty negligible. Save up for a better card.

Very quick update. The fans arrived today so now I get the fun of replacing them.

UPDATE: Replaced the fans and they are AWESOME! Both of them are running beautifully and I even have an extra wire bracket that I didn't need. Just realize the replacement part has a significantly shorter wire but it IS long enough to reach the plug. I can max out fan speed at about 4600ish RPM (at 90% speed) but I'm keeping them at around 4k RPM instead (or 75% speed) using Open Hardware Monitor.

Last edited:
Back