Help, want to upgrade from klipsch pro media

First off, it would be really helpful if some people with retail experience chimed in.

Last week, I bought the klipsch 2.1 pro medias, and was satisfied with them. Therefore, I threw away the receipt, thinking I wouldn't ever return them. Now I hear all this shit about computer speakers being crappy, and now I want to return the pro medias (without a receipt, paid with cash).

I have heard of people returning things to bestbuy without a receipt, as long as the item is "active", for store credit.

I know it's a YMMV thing, but do I actually have a plausible chance of returning an opened, 1 week old, klipsch pro media 2.1 computer speaker system for a gift card, provided I can give a driver's license?

Now if that's successful, what are the best bookshelf speakers available from bestbuy's selection that cost the same as klipsch 2.1's? I intend to pair them up with a t-amp.

How much space do you have? The T-amp would do best with speakers rated at above 90db. Most small speakers are harder to drive at 87db. There are plenty of Klipsch models at BB which would do fine. Just look for that spec and think about getting some tower speakers lol.

If you're satisfied with them, why worry about what others say about computer speakers? While it's true that many PC speaker sets are crap, the Klipsch ProMedias are actually quite good.

If you're satisfied with them, why worry about what others say about computer speakers? While it's true that many PC speaker sets are crap, the Klipsch ProMedias are actually quite good.

You know I hate them but yeah. If they sound ok to you then keep them. Until you can get a real stereo lol. That takes $200 at least.

Kind of seems silly to replace your speakers because you "heard" on teh internets that computer speakers are bad. The Klipsch are some of the best computer speakers out there, but you can do better. The real question is are you happy with them or do you just want different ones because someone posted on a forum saying they weren't good?

The are not good compared to what else you can get.

Again though, it costs more to do so and if you are happy go ahead with the klipsch.

X-Games, Big Air, Holy crap!

I dunno, but the way everyone talks about computer speakers, I feel like I got stiffed for $160. Can A T amp paired with Insignias (which costs even less) completely murder my current setup?

PS: I have done a little more research on returning stuff without a receipt and discovered that some people have been rejected store credit on the basis of price ($200, opened return denied according to one recent incident). I'd gladly eat a 15% restocking fee and lose $24 just so I can get back about $140 in store credit. If anyone has worked in retail, particularly best buy, I'd appreciate it if you can tell me whether these policies are YMMV, or set in stone.

I used my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for over 4 years and loved every minute of it. They were excellent for music and games. It wasn't until the sub shorted out that I considered a receiver/amp + speakers setup instead of just buying another Promedia. If you're pleased with their sound, then screw what anyone else thinks.

EDIT: You paid $160? That's pretty high when you can get refurbs on eBay for less than half of retail. Spaceman's right. You got hosed.

ok how am I gonna return these things? They are opened, no receipt, no trackable payment, they are higher ticket than they would like to be lenient on, and nobody buys these things. Retail guys, HELP!

I'll chime in and just say yeah, that's a bit of a rip on the price.

But... (here it comes)

If you like how they sound, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Sure you can do "better" depending on how you define that word but but but... I guess it's something I'll just never understand. If you're happy with how the Klipsch set sounds right now then what's the problem?

If you don't have anything that proves you bought them from whatever store you're attempting to return them at, you're simply out of luck.

I know the chances point towards me being out of luck, but I have also heard about the "everybody gets one" policy where they take your return and give you store credit and this is tracked by your driver's license. I don't know about the specifics because I think it's YMMV, but there might be rules like price limits on accepting no receipt returns.

News to me, but maybe things are different in different areas, who knows. Best Buy is one of those places that typically doesn't like to "bend" or be flexible in such ways for fear of being ripped off by someone. The only way to know is to box 'em back up and take 'em into the store. If you can, try to find the actual person that rang 'em up for you, perhaps they'd remember you.

I still say if you're happy with 'em I say keep 'em. You haven't said one way or the other, actually, you only stated you "heard" stuff about them and that's the basis for wanting to return them. Have you actually spent time using them or did you spend more time reading other people's opinions about 'em? I'm just curious at this point...

The few people that will constantly say they're shit are people that typically have much higher standards (and I'd be one of those people but dammit, I don't feel like creating a freakin' pieced out system anymore) and therefore you have to read their opinions from that point of view.

I use a Timex watch I've had for 12 years, never had an issue with it, replaced the battery twice. Someone that spent $25,000 on a damned Rolex would look down upon my choice most likely, but the Timex gets the job done and tells the same time. So... gotta put opinions in perspective of where they're originating. :)

News to me, but maybe things are different in different areas, who knows. Best Buy is one of those places that typically doesn't like to "bend" or be flexible in such ways for fear of being ripped off by someone. The only way to know is to box 'em back up and take 'em into the store. If you can, try to find the actual person that rang 'em up for you, perhaps they'd remember you.

I still say if you're happy with 'em I say keep 'em. You haven't said one way or the other, actually, you only stated you "heard" stuff about them and that's the basis for wanting to return them. Have you actually spent time using them or did you spend more time reading other people's opinions about 'em? I'm just curious at this point...

The few people that will constantly say they're shit are people that typically have much higher standards (and I'd be one of those people but dammit, I don't feel like creating a freakin' pieced out system anymore) and therefore you have to read their opinions from that point of view.

I use a Timex watch I've had for 12 years, never had an issue with it, replaced the battery twice. Someone that spent $25,000 on a damned Rolex would look down upon my choice most likely, but the Timex gets the job done and tells the same time. So... gotta put opinions in perspective of where they're originating. :)

HEY! easy now lol.

Yeah but for $160 bucks man that is just bad. We have to try and keep people from being ripped off. If they were $100 I would be ok but they are charging over msrp and that ain't right.

I know the chances point towards me being out of luck, but I have also heard about the "everybody gets one" policy where they take your return and give you store credit and this is tracked by your driver's license. I don't know about the specifics because I think it's YMMV, but there might be rules like price limits on accepting no receipt returns.
There's one sure-fire, guaranteed way to find out: take them back to BB and see what they'll do for you.

you know what's criminal? the amount of Bose products bestbuy carries, it's ridiculous.

you're returning the Klipsch's because people say they're crappy? I've had my promedia speakers for over 2 years and I love them. The price I got them at was the best part too, for 100 bucks there's no beating the value. Try them out for yourself and compare to other products. Alot of people here will tell you everything sucks because they own 15 000$ speakers, test it out for yourself thats the best thing.

you know what's criminal? the amount of Bose products bestbuy carries, it's ridiculous.

you're returning the Klipsch's because people say they're crappy? I've had my promedia speakers for over 2 years and I love them. The price I got them at was the best part too, for 100 bucks there's no beating the value. Try them out for yourself and compare to other products. Alot of people here will tell you everything sucks because they own 15 000$ speakers, test it out for yourself thats the best thing.

Even I say for $100 they are ok. However, bb is selling them for $160. That is more than the msrp. Not much more but come on. Enough is enough. Bose is overvalued too. I would not have a problem with either product if they were priced appropriately.

Check my pc speaker alternative thread. I just want people to get a decent return on their $$. You do not have to spend $15000 on a stereo lol. You can. I won't ever unless I win the lottery and jsut want to show off.

I haven't taken the speakers back to bestbuy yet since I haven't had the time, but if the return succeeds and I swapped them for some insignias, would a generation 2 T-amp have decent headphone amplification qualities?

I have heard of people returning things to bestbuy without a receipt, as long as the item is "active", for store credit.

I know it's a YMMV thing, but do I actually have a plausible chance of returning an opened, 1 week old, klipsch pro media 2.1 computer speaker system for a gift card, provided I can give a driver's license? .

The most sure fire way is calling Best Buy's accounting department and asking them to fax you over a copy of the sales draft. Voila--you have your receipt.

If they refuse you can always tell them you'll you have your bank/card company request one and if they don't respond within 45 days, the full amount they charged you gets reversed from their account. Much less hassle if they just send it to you.

It's odd that they are selling them for $160 in your area. They were just marked down to $100 in my area last week.

Anyways, you should be able to have an associate use CCM to look up your purchase and reprint the receipt if necessary. I can't guarantee that they will take them back, but I can't immediately see why they wouldn't (minus a restocking fee).

If they refuse you can always tell them you'll you have your bank/card company request one and if they don't respond within 45 days, the full amount they charged you gets reversed from their account. Much less hassle if they just send it to you.

As he pointed out in his first post, he paid cash.

Kind of seems silly to replace your speakers because you "heard" on teh internets that computer speakers are bad. The Klipsch are some of the best computer speakers out there, but you can do better. The real question is are you happy with them or do you just want different ones because someone posted on a forum saying they weren't good?

Exactly, I've had mine for 5 years and they are great. This guy starting the post is using some pretty broken logic.

Exactly, I've had mine for 5 years and they are great. This guy starting the post is using some pretty broken logic.

yeah but what are you comparing them to? no offense. they just sound ok at best. I say that for the price they sound ok. Not that i would listen to them personally for more than 10 minutes. Nor pay more than $100 for them new.

I've had the Promedia 4.1 v400's since they came out all those years ago. They are as awesome now as they were then.

What is CCM? Do I have to produce anything in order for them to track the purchase, or will they find it just by scanning the bar code?

It's called buyer's remorse due to a combination of:

-upgrade-itis
-wanting the best for the money

@OP:
If you do manage to return them and get a pair of bookshelves, I would very much like to hear your impressions. The insignias are a good starter bookshelf setup if you can live without a subwoofer. Also, you *may* want to just buy a receiver, since a decent receiver like the XR-55 will go far. You can just swap speakers at your leisure afterwards. The initial investment is a bit more than most people would want to spend (I made the mistake of trying to count my pennies and go too low initially when I'd just end up with something like what I have now).

are u thinking of walmart? maybe they recorded the serial number at time of purchase.....I think target does that as well..

Best Buy asks for your phone number when you check out for returns purposes (or at least, they used to). If you gave them your phone number, you should have some sort of record that can link you to the purchase of the speakers.

If you paid in cash and don't have the receipt, you are SOL. unless you can somehow manage to get a receipt re-printed... but without proof that you actually bought them... I don't think that's gonna happen.

Showing them your State Issued ID will only help if you can also show them the Credit Card that you purchased it with... but you paid cash, so ya... pretty sure that's not gonna work..

I mean... that'd be like buying the speakers somewhere else for much cheaper, bringing the box to Best Buy, and claiming you bought them a week ago and paid in cash and don't have a receipt, but you want to return them for in-store credit...

and ya, your logic is fubar.
if they sound good to you & only want to return them because of teh people on teh intarwebs (pardon the tard talk), then you most likely won't notice the increase in sound quality if you return them and pick up insignia's and a t-amp or any other alternative sub $200 setup... or it won't be enough of an increase in sound quality for it to be worth the hassle.

placebo effect FTW!

then you most likely won't notice the increase in sound quality if you return them and pick up insignia's and a t-amp or any other alternative sub $200 setup... or it won't be enough of an increase in sound quality for it to be worth the hassle.

placebo effect FTW!

You best be trolling. :p

Well for $200 of amp + speakers you aren't gonna get an epiphany, and the Klipsch are good for what they are built for.

I had Athena AS-B1s for a while and a Sonic T-amp ($140 combined) circa 2003, and while it sounded much more transparent than my Z-680s (and by transparent I mean it doesn't sound like its coming from a tin can I can pinpoint with my eyes closed) it wasn't like it was bringing tears to my eyes...but I'm not saying I would have gone back to the Z-680s.

For $160 you aren't going to get much from bookshelf speakers at Best Buy. I would just keep the Klipsch.

Back