Help w/ Switch

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Well so we got this switch for free, dell powerconnect 3024, and were going to use it to replace our linksys that just died.
Well im suppose to set it up becuase im the "computer guy" well when it comes to networking I dont know jack.

Ok so I read the manual on Dells site: Says open a terminal, 9600 buad, 8 data bit, 1 stop bit, no flow control with vt100 emulation. Well i did a google search for terminal and came up with Putty. I opened it selected Serial. set the correct options. Couldnt find anything about vt100 emulation though? Well that dont work.

Im using a laptop with a express card serial port adapter.

I know for most of yall this will be easy..but i just dont know anything about networking.

what serial port did you set Putty to use? If you are using the express slot or a USB/Serial converter then it will probably be COM3 or higher. If it is set to COM1 then it won't connect.

I used COM3 it popped up a lil window, then i plugged the power into the switch, it boots up and nothing shows on the screen.

if you are having problems connecting to the console... perhaps setting up a switch should be left to the pros...haha

Programs-Accessories-Communications-Hyperterminal. Make sure you are on the right COM port, usually onboard is 1, so I would assume an add-on card would be different...

...I may be assuming too much by thinking that the drivers for the card are installed properly...

Once you connect to the console, you will want to change the hostname, IP address, logins, interface duplex and speed (auto/auto perhaps). I assume everything is on the same VLAN, so set everything to 1. I am not familiar with dell switches, but you may be able to roll back the config to default...?

Good luck...

you also have to make sure that you are using a proper cable. what cable/db9 are you using to connect?

From perusing the docs, it appears you need a null-modem cable to connect a PC to the console on a Powerconnect 3024.

VT100 emulation is less important than they make it out to be, and almost every terminal emulator supports VT100.

Yea I talked to my buddy at work and he said try a usb->serial adapter so I took one from work same result. I also have 2 Serial ports on my Workstation so I took the switch home and tried it on that and same thing happens. Hyperterminal sees my serial ports, im using the right settings but nothing comes on the screen. Ive tried the cable that came with my expresscard serial adapter, and another cable i bought at altex a while back.
I think the switch is just F*d

From perusing the docs, it appears you need a null-modem cable to connect a PC to the console on a Powerconnect 3024.

VT100 emulation is less important than they make it out to be, and almost every terminal emulator supports VT100.

yeah, i think the cable is his problem.

can you verify that the cable you're using works on other similar equipment?

yeah, i think the cable is his problem.

can you verify that the cable you're using works on other similar equipment?

No i dont have any other equipment..How would I tell what kind of cable I have?

Yea I have a usb->DB9 male
A rj-45->DB9 male
2x 6ft. male db-9->female db-9

I think you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you just go out now and buy a db9-to-db9 cable and a null-modem adapter.

Connect it to a PC with a real serial port. Try with and without the null-modem adapter. If it still doesn't work, reset the switch.

If that still doesn't work, I'd say there's something wrong with the switch.

Yea I have a usb->DB9 male
A rj-45->DB9 male
2x 6ft. male db-9->female db-9

i know some guys at work that have tried usb converters and haven't had much luck with them. i think you're better off using a true serial connection.

Back