help w/ setting up public access WiFi

eTiMaGo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

My friend's brother is planning to install a WiFi network in the shopping mall where he works, so he's asked me to think of a good way of doing this... My knowledge of WiFi is pretty good, but somewhat limited, so I turn to the networking forum for help :D

First of all, to make things easier, IIRC, it's possible to use certain access points as repeaters for a network, right, so that instead of setting up many different CSIDs, we could use just one? We're talking about 5 or 6 access points required to cover the main parts of the building. Do they need to be connected to each other by an ethernet cable or can they communicate wirelessly?

Secondly, authentication. Sure, it'd be nice to offer free service, but at the cost of equipment and bandwidth in this country, it's not gonna happen. So we're thinking of charging a daily fee, pay so much, and have access from the opening time to the closing time of the mall. With possible discounts for weekly or monthly access (real shopaholics, or more likely, other people working in the building). I was thinking of doing it by MAC address registration. Basically, set the APs to block out all MAC addresses unless specified, and when a customer comes to ay for the access at the shop, their MAC address is checked, and added to the list of addresses that are not blocked. Thing is, this would have to be done on every AP, which would be a bit of a pain. So, if the APs are linked as in the first point mentioned, is it possible to set MAC address blocking across all APs easily? Otherwise, how else could it be done? Are there any commercially available username/password solutions or should it be custom written?

Third, security. How would you set it up so that all the connected PCs do not see each other in the workgroups? AFAIK, setting the DHCP server to assign a subnet of 255.255.255.255 should do it, but I'm not certain.

Those are the big hurdles that I can't figure out, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas

All good suggestions ^^. I think that many people would suggest using doing that, but making people VPN into a box on the other side of the AP for internet access. This gives a lot more security.

eg. USER<>AP<>VPNbox<>your router/internet etc.

I'd also like to know how to set up 2 or 3 public AP's in a mom 'n pop cafe...

They want to set it up for the regular, paying customers... but, what's the best way of doing it? The easiest? Authenticaction?

Blah... any ideas?

Goto ..Seattlewireless.net

There is software out there (cant remeber the name ) that when a wireless client attachs to your network, he is presented with a logon screen. So in order for the client to have access to the network he would need a login/password. Say, maybe they would need to created a login/password with you, and give you a credit card number for billing. I believe this is the way all of the starbucks run there WiFI access.

I would have two networks, one for your wired client and one for wireless. Then route what common traffic is needed DHCP,DNS, yadaa yadaa between the two, and block everything else. If you dont want the PC's on the wired network seeing who is on the wireless, block the netbios ports at the router and that traffic will never cross over to your wireless network.

he meant seperate each wireless user from seeing eachother's shares.
dont bother, most people wont know to look, those who do know 11b is too slow for big transfers (say someone set up a warez server, it would be utterly useless because of the low ass speed)

as for making money on the service, you could charge the STORES a bit more, since free wireless can and will bring in A LOT of customers.

THis guy is going to install a WLAN with multiple AP's in a public environment, a Mall no less, but needs you to query a BBS to figure out how to do it? Seriously? That is too funny.

AP's will communicate over the wire. Do not use repeaters. Run copper to each AP.

Back