Help w/ non smart TV

Pivo504

2[H]4U
I own a TV that is not considered smart TV so it cannot play video files etc. I bought this. https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-H...coding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=yo_pop_d_yo_pop_d_pd_t2
converter to play video files by using a
Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K) via a sd card. It worked great but all the sudden video files are randomly not working anymore. Now when I plug the same transcend reader with the same sd card into my home smart TV all the files work perfectly fine...I'm guessing the converter box is the issue and wondering if there is something better I can use instead that will not cause issues?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why would iwant to stream? Just need something that will allow my TV to be able to play video files off of a sd card lol...don't need a controller and 180 bux way to pricey

Bump can anyone help? Just need my non smart TV to be able to play video files off of a usb stick with sd card? Is there a nice small mini pc I can use to do this? Maybe one with a fairly good gpu and cpu

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it might be difficult to do better than a Roku device with a USB. Especially if you can consider a used/older Roku 3. I know you don't want the added features, but Roku does have a channel that allows you to play media from attached storage.

Trying to go super low-budget (like under $40 USD) might get you a low end (e.g. ARM) platform that is "hit or miss". Just saying.

Well, the raspberry will do the job for sure but you need to know how to use a PC for it (runs linux). It has good support, but it's still a PC so if you find this Roku 3 or another device like it on the cheap that may be a better road in case you don't want to thinker at all. If you have a smartphone though you can connect to the raspberry no problem, you also find tutorials on youtube on how to set this up the first time (you need to install some stuff onto the raspberry and the phone). If not a bluetooth keyboard is a safe bet, but extra cost.

Thanks for the replies guys. Now that I think about it wouldn't it be better to get a mini pc instead? That way I'll also have windows bc I do need use that for work. Is there a powerful mini pc with a good gpu on the market? Never thought I'd be looking at a mini pc lol

Minix and Intel NUC are the two set top box options that are pre-built. You can also throw up a post in the Small Form Factor forum asking about ITX / mATX HTPC builds which will be larger than Minix / NUC but limited only by your wants and money.

Back