Help w/ identification/removal of virus

DocFaustus

2[H]4U
Almost a year ago, I built a system for my friend's younger brother. He came to me the other day saying the CD burner was broke and the system crashes every time he inserts a blank CD. After verifying that it was not a hardware problem (I put my drive in his comp and it did the same thing), I started looking for another culprit.

I noticed his Norton Antivirus was not in the systray running. So I launched it, the program immediately quit. I then tried installing NAV2004 and it did catch the Blaster.Worm but after it was installed, it would not run again.

If you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL it gives you the message that it was disabled by the administrator.

Internet Explorer will not launch. Gives an error

With those 4 symptoms, can somone identify what virus I am up against here and any solutions to how I can fix this?

go into safe mode, and then to start>run and type "msconfig"

disable everything. reboot to windows normally, and reinstall norton. proceed to scan the system. once the virus has been found and removed, you can turn on the essential background processes (specific to your configuration-post a list and I can decipher it)

Another question, is it possable to make an antivirus disk that I can update the definitions on and run from the CD?

DocFaustus said:
Another question, is it possable to make an antivirus disk that I can update the definitions on and run from the CD?
There is a tool called "hirens boot disc" in circulation that will do this, but the recent versions are supposedly in licensing conflicts. You might look for an earlier version, one with just the Norton on the disc, which is legal to use provided you own a copy of windows and NAV 2003 or higher (look at the provisions for use of DOS and norton in modified environments). The easiest thing is what I described in my previous post, and if that doesn't work, pull the HD and scan it from a clean machine. Just be sure not to run any files from the dirty drive after plugging it into a clean system.

M11, thanks again for your suggestions. I plugged the HD into my machine and scanned it. It found 31 viruses (about 10 different types). Now his comp is working fine.

IE still does not work, but I told him I would not fix it. He is now an Opera/Firefox user. :)

I gave him a bunch of tips and tricks to prevent getting viruses in the first place (mainly updating his shit). And some links to download spybot and adaware.

DocFaustus said:
IE still does not work, but I told him I would not fix it. He is now an Opera/Firefox user. :)
See sig:)

DocFaustus said:
I gave him a bunch of tips and tricks to prevent getting viruses in the first place (mainly updating his shit). And some links to download spybot and adaware.
Good. The best form of protection is education, followed by preventative maintanence.

Yea, I have been an Opera user for about a year now, and reciently have been playing with Firefox. I still prefer Opera (especially how it downloads and the mouse gestures), but Firefox seems to be easer to get people to convert to. And I love the new Thunderbird.

Back