• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help w/ Display

jmackay

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
3,928
I really want to get a new LCD, as the 17" I have right now just isn't cutting it.

I was looking at the Dell 2007FP ($449), 2007WFP ($339) and 2407WFP ($569).

I read a thread here that mentioned that new LCDs would be coming out soon in the 24" range, will there also be new 20"?

I have a 640mb 8800gts and like to game a lot. I would prefer 1600x1200 resolution since not all games handle wide screen well (*cough*bf2142*cough*), but if its ~$100 to jump up to a 24" it could be worth it to me.

Would the 24" allow me to play @ 16x12 and just leave the sides black (1 to 1 mapping or whatever its called?).

Should I wait a few for the new stuff to come out? Will prices be dropping any time?

If there are other good monitors out there (S-IPS) priced similarly let me know too =).

Thanks!
 
Don't waste your money on those. I would kill myself if I ever spent over $250 for a small 20" monitor. If you want my honest opinion, DO NOT GO WITH DELL. Those monitors are way overpriced. Check out newegg.com and search for your monitor there. You can get a 22" monitor there for well under $300. So check it out and don't waste your money on the overpriced dell monitors.
 
But are those GOOD monitors for so cheap (S-IPS) or are they lower quality ones like the one I have now. Doing graphic design sucks on this thing since I can't see some of the details of images.
 
BenQ makes some good monitors, I couldn't imagine they would make any that are that terrible.
 
The BenQ monitors are a few hundred $$$ more than the Dells...

Anyone else have some input or know if a new revision of the LCDs are coming soon?
 
Ugh I don't care about some pissing match, I just want input on a good LCD for the price. He said he wouldn't spend over $250 then said to get a BenQ which cost a few hundred more than what I was planning on getting in the first place.
 
Samsung 226BW-22" 2 ms DVI Wide screen LCD Monitor.....Newegg.com 318.00
Awesome monitor..its 2ms so there is supposedly little to no ghosting. OR a Hanns-G 5ms 22" 259.00
 
Ugh I don't care about some pissing match, I just want input on a good LCD for the price. He said he wouldn't spend over $250 then said to get a BenQ which cost a few hundred more than what I was planning on getting in the first place.


Actually he said he wouldn't spend 250 on a monitor the size of 20 or smaller.
 
Actually he said he wouldn't spend 250 on a monitor the size of 20 or smaller.

Actually he said:

I would kill myself if I ever spent over $250 for a small 20" monitor

The cheapest BenQ I found was a TN panel for $215 on sale, the rest being over $250 and also TN.

Regardless, I want a good S-IPS or equiv monitor, meaning the 22" are all out of the equation as they are TN panels afaik.

How well does the Dell convert from 1920x1200 -> 1600x1200 for non-wide screen games (EA mainly)?
 
Actually he said:



The cheapest BenQ I found was a TN panel for $215 on sale, the rest being over $250 and also TN.

Regardless, I want a good S-IPS or equiv monitor, meaning the 22" are all out of the equation as they are TN panels afaik.

How well does the Dell convert from 1920x1200 -> 1600x1200 for non-wide screen games (EA mainly)?

My 2405FPW has black bars. Since the vertical is the same, there's really nothing to convert. It just chops off the sides.
 
Actually he said:



The cheapest BenQ I found was a TN panel for $215 on sale, the rest being over $250 and also TN.

Regardless, I want a good S-IPS or equiv monitor, meaning the 22" are all out of the equation as they are TN panels afaik.

How well does the Dell convert from 1920x1200 -> 1600x1200 for non-wide screen games (EA mainly)?

Yea, but I was close enough to get the point across... and that point is, if you didn't get it, more than 250 ain't worth it for something like a 20". I just added my presumption that if he didn't think 20 is big enough, anything less isn't going to be worth it either, which I'm sure he probably does.

And he probably meant you to get the benq 24" which isn't a TN panel, I think they're IPS or PVA but I'm not sure right now, I can't remember. Which would be what you are looking for, the S-IPS anyway, if it is.
 
My 2405FPW has black bars. Since the vertical is the same, there's really nothing to convert. It just chops off the sides.

Thanks thats what I was wondering, don't some LCDs spaz out and try to stretch it?
 
Thanks thats what I was wondering, don't some LCDs spaz out and try to stretch it?

That depends on the monitor, if it doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping or Aspect Ratio, it probably will. And if they have problems with one of those 2 things, it probably will too.
 
What the hell is up w/ everyone bitching all the time? This guy just wants some help, so just settle your differences and help him out.

The dell monitors are AWSOME, and although a little pricey, If you buy used or refurb, you can get a hell of a deal (I just got a AO3 S-IPS dell 2007WFP for like 250) I do not recommend the Samsung, ONLY due to the fact that it has the same res. as the 2007WFP. Yes it is a great monitor, but only buy it if you want the real estate of a 22" The gell is WAY bigger than I thought it would be, and I don't really notice the difference between it and a 22" BUT beware that if you get a 2007 AO4, some of them are S-PVA panels.

If you have the money, I would definatly suggest the 2407, It is HUGE, and AMAZING. If you don't have the money though, definatly go for the 2007, you won't be sorry. Again, unless you really want an extra 2 inches, and want to pay for it graphically, then go w/ the samsung 226BW, but the image will not be a good as with the Dell monitors.

I hope that helps a little, if you have more questions, just ask away, I am always willing to help!
 
Thanks BigJ and pothb for the last response.

I know HP used to have a good 20" 4:3 screen but I can't seem to find it on their site now and its very expensive on places like amazon. Are there other S-IPS 20" screens other than the Dell? (Wide or 4:3). I'd rather go 4:3 vs wide but with the current price difference the 24 looks tempting (though still very expensive :\)

Whats the best place to get refurb? Do you get the same service as new (eg can return w/o hassle if its the crappy screen version?)
 
I am not 100% sure on the warranty, but go to dell for the refurb, so you can get the warranty. And again buying used is also a good alterative, someone on here is selling a 2407 for $500 if ur interested...I should be able to find the link.

Honestly I highly suddest a WS monitor, very few games won't support it, and if you get one all it does is make the sides back to make it 4:3. And if you were wondering, a 20.1" WS (aka the 2007) is about a half an inch shorter (vertically) than a 19" 4:3, if that helps at all, I know it helped me (I measured myself!) So, for the very few games that use 4:3 only, you will still have a fairly big viewing area.
 
Back
Top