Help video freezing - any ideas?

apcor

Limp Gawd
Well any games I play are causing lock ups and ati tool causes them as well. My gpu and cpu temps are fine. No OC on gpu, and did an orthos stress test on RAM for 10 minutes no prob. My GPU drivers were installed twice in safe mode w/ driver cleaner. Any ideas as to what gives?

PS this problem starts immediately when I open 3d view in ati tool and stops when I close it.

Thanks

power supply is faulty? that's all I can think of in that case
try running orthos on your cpu to see if it locks up too.

My cpu is fine w/ orthos (20 min), problem has worsened though. Cant even get into windows with a set of drivers loaded. Had to go safe mode and uninstall them. SOS ...........

It could be your PSU going down hill fast.
If this is the case, its dangerous to keep using it, in case it fails in a bad way.

Test with a good PSU (thats easily powerful enough).

Dont suppose you know how to test if the PSU is going bad? I might have made a breakthrough though. I have alot of devices running through one outlet on the wall, TV, my rig, laser printer, plus a hefty cyberpower surge protector. I just tried turning everything off except my rig and the Surg, installed new drivers and things seem to be running ok with ati tool. Will try some gaming to test more.

thanks

You can get a PSU tester but I dont trust them unless they cost a lot!
Test it yourself by monitoring the 12V rails as you use your PC, you should see them drop a little (say 0.2V) when under heavy load.
If you see anywhere near a 0.6V drop, unplug it quick.

See if any of your friends have a capable PSU you can borrow to test with.

Dont suppose you know how to test if the PSU is going bad? I might have made a breakthrough though. I have alot of devices running through one outlet on the wall, TV, my rig, laser printer, plus a hefty cyberpower surge protector. I just tried turning everything off except my rig and the Surg, installed new drivers and things seem to be running ok with ati tool. Will try some gaming to test more.

thanks

this sort of indicates psu, it's possible it's trying to draw more and more power from the wall as it's able to convert less and less of it to DC ?

Back