Help! Vector a .jpeg picture into HPGL code.

2k3eblade

Gawd
Hi guys, I need to turn a .jpeg picture into vectorized lines so I can print it on a metal engraver. Which software should I use? I already have Arts and Letters express. I already know how to take logos from the database of program and turn it into HPGL code. But any .jpeg I import into the program shows up as a vector square. Any clues? :confused:

some of those specialty programs like .bmp files...convert to .bmp and try again.

you cant make a JPEG image into vector because its alreayd rasterized, youre kinda screwed you can get a tracer or use a vectorizing filer but that will only make a artsy looking picture. You need the original file, what did you make this in?

It works. My brother uses .bmp files all time time to make die cut stickers on a sticker machine. Takes a bit of tweaking, but it works.

Good luck with that.

is the vector you guys are talking about, that new thing that can rebuild in any size icons,etc, that microsoft vista will have? amazing technology in my opinion.

ar2005 said:
is the vector you guys are talking about, that new thing that can rebuild in any size icons,etc, that microsoft vista will have? amazing technology in my opinion.
A bit offtopic, but I think Vista uses variable-resolution bit-mapped images (so a single icon is actually one 8x8 icon, one 32x32, one 128x128 and one 512x512 icon or something such), like Mac OS X does now.

I have a graphics business which requires us (almost daily) to vectorize assorted raster graphics. For example someone gives us their biz card and says thats their artwork they need blown up to twelve feet across. We use a company http://www.affinityexpress.com/ for this service. They sort of specialize in embroidery digitizing but they also do a ton of just vectorizing work. We simply send them whatever artwork we have and they turn it around in 24 hours for $23 bucks. Even very detailed designs that I know took the overseas child labor workers (just kidding - I think) several hours to do. For the price the quality of their work is unmatched. I think you do have to call them to apply to be a customer first though. If you want me to get it done for you just PM me and I'll give you my direct email so you can forward the original images.

If you or the company needs images converted a lot to vector I highly reccomend getting setup with them. We have tried several vectorizing programs and all of them have sever drawbacks and will require a lot of time (hours) to get the final vector image just right. The best do it yourself option though is currently a new tool in Adobe Illustrator CS2 call "live trace". Works better than any other vectorizing solution - we do use it but only for very basic logo vectorizing where the logo has very clean lines.

Back