help! upgrading bottlenecked system

dbendebel

Weaksauce
hey all.

im currently trying to upgrade my current rig. i have a q6600 g0 stepping, g.skill 4gb pc 8000 memory with an abit ip35 pro board. right now its not oc'd but my current specs are 3.0ghz.

i was wondering what new setup is comparable to a "new version" of that. considering that i want maximum oc possibility with good stability. i havent really read up on anything recently and im considering to upgrade because of the bottleneck its causing on my 470 gtx. i wanna spend little money with big oc headroom just like the q6 thx!

well, if you can get a i7 920 on the boards for cheap i say go with that. 2.66ghz stock but can get up to 4+ghz oc

if i get an i7 920, what boards do you recommend? im considering something just as effective in stability and oc'ing as the ip35 was

hey all.

im currently trying to upgrade my current rig. i have a q6600 g0 stepping, g.skill 4gb pc 8000 memory with an abit ip35 pro board. right now its not oc'd but my current specs are 3.0ghz.

i was wondering what new setup is comparable to a "new version" of that. considering that i want maximum oc possibility with good stability. i havent really read up on anything recently and im considering to upgrade because of the bottleneck its causing on my 470 gtx. i wanna spend little money with big oc headroom just like the q6 thx!

Right now the closest new equivalent would be the Core i5 2500K. Easy to overclock and is actually faster than the Core i7 920 CPU that jjolin recommended. Not to mention that it uses significantly less power.

Back