Help troubleshooting a network

Peder

Weaksauce
Heres the story. I have 3 computers on one router, all 3 can see eachother. On a second router (wireless), I have 2 computers. Both computers can see eachother. However neither router 1 nor router 2 can see eachother. My fileserver is on router 1, my desktop and laptop on router 2. The server cannot see my desktop, nor can my desktop see the server.

Am I completely missing a simple setting somewhere? My desktop and laptop see eachother, and have internet access. Both cannot see the other 3 computers. The first 3 computers see eachother, and have internet access, but cannot see my 2 computers. Before this setup, I didn't have the wireless router or laptop, and everything worked perfectly.

Both routers are Linksys, the first is a "BEFSR41 V3", and the wireless is a "WRT54G"

I've read the manuels for the routers and still can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help at all.

netdiag1.JPG

Sorry, I forgot to include that part. Port 4 on the first modem goes to the WAN on the wireless router.

EDIT: Also forgot to include that all computers are MSHOME.

I tried that last night, and I lost internet on both the laptop and desktop. Is there a setting I'm supposed to change when I do that?

Child of Wonder said:
Don't plug into the WAN port.

Need to go from one switch port to another.

Need a few more steps than just what you listed.

For one thing..they're both Linksys routers..so they both default to 192.168.1.1. Uplink them using the LAN ports..and guess what? You have an IP conflict..and you have a DHCP conflict..as they both run DHCP by default.

What he should so..is assign the wrt an IP outside the DHCP pool of the befsr..something like 192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.254. Then disable DHCP on the wrt. NOW...he can uplink them using the LAN port of each. ;)

Ugh, more information I forgot. *sigh* The wired router's ip is 192.168.2.1, the wireless 192.168.1.1. I'll try what you said though.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Need a few more steps than just what you listed.

For one thing..they're both Linksys routers..so they both default to 192.168.1.1. Uplink them using the LAN ports..and guess what? You have an IP conflict..and you have a DHCP conflict..as they both run DHCP by default.

What he should so..is assign the wrt an IP outside the DHCP pool of the befsr..something like 192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.254. Then disable DHCP on the wrt. NOW...he can uplink them using the LAN port of each. ;)

Yes, having the DHCP server off on the WRT54G is vital, too.

Once that's off and it's on the same subnet as the router, you're good to go.

I have the same kind of setup at home.

Linux router -> Switch (everything plugs in from here) -> Wireless Router (plugged into switch port)

Back