Help to expand PA Inventory

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by khachai44, May 20, 2017.

1. khachai44

khachai44 n00bie

Hi all,
    My company is a preferred vendor at a venue that has a very large, enclosed atrium. I've attached a picture of the space.
    Quick backstory: The best way to describe our company is a blend of entertainment and production. We have staging, tvs, video production gear, photo novelties, event lighting, DJs, etc...enough gear to do one or two of these larger events at a time. Our clients tend to be those that want a one stop shop where they have one point of contact to handle all of these services.
    When we encounter a situation that is outside of our scope/inventory, we'll refer them or sub out the work in the area we need help.
    That being said, we want to develop our sound reinforcement capabilities at this particular venue. Our current speaker inventory (that's relevant) consists of QSC K12s and KW181s as well as some FBT cabinets.
    Here's the situation: We have an event coming up where it's critical to the client that we have good audio distribution for the talking heads (last year's company did a poor job). I've attached our attempt at one Ease Focus drawing that would utilize our QSC K12s in the center area of the atrium where all of the tables will be for the benefit. We would use a digital mixer to put the necessary delays on the system.
    Is this a bad approach? We also have been evaluating a line array from FBT (the Muse series) and have created some Ease mockups of what that would look like.
    Disclaimer: I've read some forum posts that bash "cheap" line arrays. I'll preface that by saying our clients do not produce riders that require premium systems, nor do they have the budgets to support that.
    Thank you for your time!

2. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Danley Sound Labs. Period. Line arrays suck, they're expensive and perform poorly.

The performance of the point source horn is clearly shown in the video. A hot tarmac would create so much heat that a conventional speaker (or a line array) would sound totally horrible. Heat 'eats' away high frequencies and if wind gets to the mix the sound will be very inconsistent.

The point source horn is excellent with this. When you have an empty venue vs a full venue generating body heat, your conventional sound system changes its tune completely. With a horn you not only need 10x less speakers and rigging, you get away with a LOT less amplifier power too.

This video shows what kind of processing line arrays require to sound proper - and even then they need to be retuned for empty and full venues because of the thermal barrier caused by the crowd.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    cageymaru likes this.