help to build $500 computer now- want expandability for future

Hi. I have $500 now and need a computer. I will have more money later and would like to upgrade it then but need to use the computer now. i would like to have a fast processor if possible

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Etc

- For the next 3 months I only need it for word processing- but after that I am going to have it permanently connected to two screens- one of which is my tv and use it for movies, internet, several other applications. I would like the ability to upgrade it in the future and hope to keep the computer for this purpose for at least 3-4 years.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

- my current budget is $600. I will put more money into the machine later to upgrade it after 3 months.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

- I live in TX

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

- I’m a newb so I may be leaving something out but I need the: case, mobo, CPU & fan, RAM, videocard, PSU, HHD, and CD/DVD, network card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

- I have the tv/monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse and software.

6) Will you be overclocking?

- probably not

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

- I currently have a 24” that is 1980x 1080 and 55” 1080p TV. I will most likely be getting a higher resolution monitor to replace the 24” after 3 months

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

- I will build the barebones or whatever is possible with a budget of 500 ASAP to use for word processing and internet. After two months I can will have more money and can upgrade the harddrive and memory or whatever else.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

I would like usb 3.0 – don’t really know what else would be helpful. I plan on hooking it up to several monitors at the same time. I also have a macbook and laptop and want to use this computer as the central backup/hub

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes I have a transferable OS license 64bit

Last edited by a moderator:
If you aren't gaming, no point in a dedicated video card. Spend that money on a better CPU.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Etc

- For the next 3 months I only need it for word processing- but after that I am going to have it permanently connected to two screens- one of which is my tv and use it for movies, internet, several other applications. I would like the ability to upgrade it in the future and hope to keep the computer for this purpose for at least 3-4 years.

Thats it? Just web browsing and media playback?

essentially, yeah. web browsing. media playback. i will be also at times be using programs that involve 3d body simulations, word processing, and database programs programs. the thing i want to make sure is that i can play things and use programs on different screens at the same time. i need to have it able to connect to two or three screens. some of the programs are memory intensive so i'd like to have expandability to 16gb if possible

You should start with the motherboard. Don't cheap out on it since it will determine how much you can do it with it later. Make sure you get a motherboard with the latest chipset and reputable vendor that is good for providing bios updates so that you can have the latest CPUs without buying a whole new motherboard. I had a bad experience with Asus and their lack of bios updates for my old motherboard...I had to buy a new motherboard even though the new CPUs at the time fit into the same socket. Something to be mindful of.

Hmmm, you really won't have much upgrade to do actually:
$293 - Intel Core i5-3450 + MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard Combo
$85 - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$100 - HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - LG GH24NS90B DVD Burner
$53 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite White with Black Front Trim ATX Case
----
Total: $599 shipped

Maxed out on the RAM, about the fastest CPU you can get without requiring to overclock, a PSU more than enough for that setup, and a large drive.

this is awesome, thanks!

i have a few questions:

1) i noticed on the specs for the mobo that it can support up to 32gb ram at 1600mhz. is the faster speed of ram worth it? to fit in budget i can just get 8gb 1dimm right now and add more later

2) how many harddrives could i add later on to this set up?

3) would this set up be able to output video to multiple monitors as is? if i wanted to add a GPU later would that be possible?

i really appreciate all your advice. thanks again.

this is awesome, thanks!

i have a few questions:

1) i noticed on the specs for the mobo that it can support up to 32gb ram at 1600mhz. is the faster speed of ram worth it? to fit in budget i can just get 8gb 1dimm right now and add more later

No, the faster RAM speeds and tighter CAS timings do not benefit real world performance with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs. Therefore it's a waste of money to buy the higher rated RAM.

2) how many harddrives could i add later on to this set up?

It has 6 SATA ports. Two are being used (1 HDD and 1 ODD) therefore you can add up to four more drives without needing additional SATA controller cards.

3) would this set up be able to output video to multiple monitors as is? if i wanted to add a GPU later would that be possible?

Yes it can. One of the monitors needs DVI or D-Sub and the other needs HDMI.

This $510 Gaming PC could be an ideal configuration for your current demand. The better option $590 Productivity PC Build could stretch a long way and worth the extra but always stick to your initial budget first and leave the upgrades for later.
If you live near to a local Microcenter store, pay them a visit because they usually have special CPU + Motherboard bundle deal and surprisingly it's way cheaper than most offers you could find on the Internet.

This $510 Gaming PC could be an ideal configuration for your current demand. The better option $590 Productivity PC Build could stretch a long way and worth the extra but always stick to your initial budget first and leave the upgrades for later.
If you live near to a local Microcenter store, pay them a visit because they usually have special CPU + Motherboard bundle deal and surprisingly it's way cheaper than most offers you could find on the Internet.
Dont quite your day job ... :p

Back