• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help: Thermal Paste Application

Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
29
I just put a Zalman CNPS 9500 on my 3800+. I put a BB-sized dot of Arctic Silver 5 on the center of the processor and pressed the fan on top of it so that the paste would spread out under the pressure of the fan. I spun it a slightly in both directions, and screwed it down.

This method was recommended by Arctic Silver. They say it reduces air bubbles. However, you can't tell if the paste is completely covering the CPU after all the shifting around that took place while I was screwing the heatsink into the retention bracket. I'm contemplating doing it over with the traditional method: spreading the paste out with a plastic trowel of some kind, and then placing the fan on top. At least that way I'll know there's proper coverage.

So if you're still reading this, I'm getting 30C idle and about 40C load. They're good temps, but people are getting under 30C idle with that chip! That's why I'm concerned with the thermal paste application. Will it make that much of a difference?

Sorry for being so long-winded. I know you're all probably busy.
 
Thermal paste doesn't need to cover every single part of the heatspreader, seeing how the core is in the middle. I'd follow their advice, they do produce the stuff, ya know. ;)
 
Yes, the AS method is effective. You get good coverage in the center, which is where you need it.
 
With artic silver 5 or 3, you should spread a very even and very thin (paper thin or thinner) layer over the entire heatspreader.
 
EnJoY120 said:
With artic silver 5 or 3, you should spread a very even and very thin (paper thin or thinner) layer over the entire heatspreader.
:rolleyes:

Read the instructions much?
 
Back
Top