Help! Thermal Dynamics! FANS!

Dolph

Limp Gawd
Im building a new case and i need some help on fan placements, Here's my idea...

Mid size case
plexi top, side, and front

Front: 2 x 120mm Blue LED fans, 69.85 CFM (Intake)
Top:1x 120mm Blue LED fan, 69.85 CFM (Exhaust)
Back:1x 92mm Blue LED fan, 48.11CFM (Exhaust)
Side: 1x 120mm Blue LED fan, 69.85 CFM (Intake)

Now i heard that having a fan on the side of the case is bad, putting a "T" in the air flow will slow it down alot, BUT having the air just passing through the case and hardley even touching the MOBO wont do much. Having a fan on the side will take the 2x 120mm fans air flow and push it onto the board wich is what really needs the cooling. Is having a 3:2 intake ratio a bad thing?? cause i have no other place to really put another exhaust fan. ANY SUGGESTIONS would help and where abouts on the side would be most efficient?!?!? thanks!

i always recommend having more airflow out than in. the best place for a side planal fan would be at the bottom left of the side panel where there is no airflow.

intake and exhaust should be roughly the same, otherwise it's inefficient.

what you've listed seems like overkill to me, but if you can live with the noise, go for it.

Acually i changed my idea for the fans, im not getting, the quad blue LED's 39dBA is pretty loud, im gonig to go with Aluminum Fans, a huge increase in performance, 69.85 CFM to 84.5 CFM ALSO with a 31dBA :D althought it wont look as cool.... but the noise will be barable and more CFM for me hehehe.....

FROM
This.

TO
This.

more air going out is better because it creates a direction for the hot air to move out... the side fan is only good if you have more exhaust air... otherwise u will have air going everywhere, which will circulate some hot air around also...

Truthfully the more arguments i see over airflow in a case the more i see that people who know a great deal about thermo dynamics are saying that u should have equal proportions of air coming in as going out

Granted Im not one for talking since I have a 120 = 190 CFM exahust in the back and 3 80 Tornados intake in the front but that is what I have always heard and it makes sense when u think about it.

Anyways the best way to test how well ur case is circulting air .... I have no idea were I found this but it is a good idea and I suggest everyone try it is hook a fog machine up to ur machine and pump it full then turn the machine on .... if "fog" lingers anywhere in ur case then u know u have an air flow prob otherwise I really wouldn't worry about it too much w/ the amount of air u sound like u will be circulating u shouldn't have any probs other than a posible dead spot or two which is why I mention the fog machine thingy

Cheers

Instead of investing in a fog machine, just use some simple tools.

What I do is get my big ol' 230w soldering gun and a little jar of that sottering acid goop stuff.. I heat up the gun until it starts to glow and slam the tip into the acid while holding it near the front intake fans.

The smoke from that stuff is very thick and very white which makes it easy to see. The crap doesn't even linger in my case for more than a half a second. I believe the smoke doesn't leave behind any residue either, atleast no moisture like from a fog machine or something.. ?

And it's cheaper ;)

instead of investing in any air cooling invest in water cooling, much better :)

Thanks, im just going to trust the fans will do there jobs instead of fog machines or anything else. So having more exhaust then intake would be more efficient? Ok then, were should i put the other exhaust fan? the only place i can think of is another exhaust fan out the top....and although rabbit does make a good point, im not going to be ocing enough for water cooling. Air circulation will be sufficient enough for me, as long as it has an uber setup of fans, which is why i started this thread ;)

I would recommend either equal parts exhaust and intake or slightly more exhaust if you can't get them even. Remember your PSU has an exhaust fan as well. :)

lol yeah i realized that, but it only counts as half exhast, most of it is covered up, why is having more exhaust than intake better?

more exhust is better because you want the air thats in there to get out. intake puts cold air into your case but it warms up while in the case. if you have more intake your just pushing more warm air into your case which will linger until the exhust fans can take it out. thus you want the out-take of air to be greater than the intake so you have no air linger. oh and lentic, the only reason you suggest the fog machine is because you have had more water circulate through your case than air. heh heh. hope that helps.

Back