Help! System won't turn on or Post

tikicult

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I am working on my parent's computer and they have a weird problem. Everytime I press the power button, the system tries to turn on (fans, HD spin up) but like a second later, it just shuts off. The strange part is that the power led stays lit after this happens. The system cannot be started again from the power button until I "shut down" the system by holding the power button down for four seconds. Then the system goes back to where it started and still cannot be started. Any suggestions??

-Dave

the psu new? how did this problem occur?

sounds like a dead one. I had one a month ago. take the psu out try it on another mobo see what happends.

Is it a Generic PSU? :rolleyes:
If so, get a good one such as Antec, Enermax, OCZ or Tagan. There are many good ones out there.

The PSU is about two years old. The system itself, however, is only four months old. Apparently it worked fine until just last week. The power button leads had also become disconnected from the button itself at some point too, but I already replaced that. The PSU is a Macron 300W.

the power button line/LED thing? You should check to make sure its on corrrectly. But still have you tried the PSU on another mobo yet?

Ok, I stripped down the system and had only the mobo, cpu, PSU connected. After that failed, I opened up the PSU and saw the culprit. One of the caps in the PSU had exploded. This afternoon, I am going to buy a new one and hope that the old one didn't take any other parts with it.

Back