Help: SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT discolouration problem

Tofu Drift

Limp Gawd
I have a 3-month old Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT and I am getting discolouration on the left side of the screen. I first noticed it when I was watching a DVD and the red colour on the left side of the screen were a bit yellow compared to the red colour on the right side of the screen. Now I'm encountering this problem more frequently, but still only on the left side of the screen. The temporary solution is a degauss, which happens to fix it right away... but I don't think I should be saddled with an inferior unit.

I have the center channel of my 5.1 (Logitech Z-680) right up in front of my monitor, but I believe that should be shielded so it should not be affecting the monitor.

I called support at Samsung first suggested to move the center channel somewhere else, so I tried on top of the monitor, but the problem persists. With the location of my computer (and the lack of a $10000 desk), I wouldn't know where else to put the center channel except around the monitor. I'm wondering if I should drive out to Samsung's repair place, but it'd be a hassle if they just turn me around and tell me this isn't their problem.

Have any of you experienced this problem with any CRT monitor? Is this even a problem? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

how about you just move your center channel far away from the monitor and see if the problem still persists?

Back