• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help! Single drive to RAID 0 Migration

drifterx37

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
295
I'm trying to move a Windows 7 install from a single drive to a RAID 0 setup, but it bluescreens at the Windows fireflies every time. It reboots too fast for me to see what the error code is. It seems to be a known issue, I've read a bunch of threads where people are having the same problem. How do I fix it? I've got both the old drive and a Windows image backup available, but restoring from the image or migrating the old partition result in the same bluescreen issue. I don't think this is a hardware issue or a bios setting, the RAID array shows up fine and a clean install of Windows 7 boots without issue. What changes can I make to the Windows install on the old drive so that migrating the partition will work?
 
The built-in Windows backup utility and Paragon free, both programs have the same issue restoring. I've also got Acronis 2011 on hand, but haven't used it to back up.
 
To make it stop rebooting, press F8 before windows starts. Then select "don't reboot on stop error."

To fix your install:
1) Put the intel raid "floppy" package on a CD or usb stick
2) Boot from the system CD
3) Click have drivers, use the floppy raid drivers you already have
4) open the command prompt
5)change the drivers from AHCI to RAID:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

The intel raid driver is called iaStorV.
 
The board is a 780i.

Thefreeaccount has the correct idea.

You're trying to restore to a RAID array but your back-ups don't contain the correct drivers for RAID.

They are on your w7 install disk and that's why a fresh install works.

You'll need the correct RAID drivers for your MB but I'm not an AMD/nVidia fan and can't help ya with the exact info.
 
Thefreeaccount has the correct idea.

You're trying to restore to a RAID array but your back-ups don't contain the correct drivers for RAID.

They are on your w7 install disk and that's why a fresh install works.

You'll need the correct RAID drivers for your MB but I'm not an AMD/nVidia fan and can't help ya with the exact info.

I'm going off of that. I reinstalled the latest Nvidia 780i drivers on the old drive last night and made another backup using Acronis. I can't seem to fine just the Nvidia RAID driver though. Out of laziness I left the bios configured for RAID when I booted the old drive by itself, Windows loaded fine and Windows Update immediately recognized that my Nvidia SATA drivers needed to be updated, so maybe I'm getting somewhere. I'm going to try a restore with Acronis and see what happens.
 
you need to use acronis with universal restore or symantec backup exec with restore anywhere. you need give the RAID drivers to those programes and tell them to integrate it into the restore.

PM if you need help.
 
The board is a 780i.

That is your first problem. I owned several Nvidia boards from the 6XX series, and friends had the 7XX series and their RAID support is a joke. Why don't you pick a good used RAID card? Personally if it were my data I would feel way more secure. As to the other issue, TFA is dead on.
 
That is your first problem. I owned several Nvidia boards from the 6XX series, and friends had the 7XX series and their RAID support is a joke. Why don't you pick a good used RAID card? Personally if it were my data I would feel way more secure. As to the other issue, TFA is dead on.

It's terrible for overclocking too. I would have rather waited another six months and do the raid array, board, cpu, and ram all at the same time with a fresh install of Windows, but I think the old drive is about to give up the ghost. I'll try the registry changes in the knowledge base article thefreeaccount linked to. Setting up the raid configuration actually couldn't have been easier, and this issue isn't related to just Nvidia, it's more my lack of experience with raid.
 
Back
Top