Help: Silencer NV5 does not fit a 6800gt

TehQuick

2[H]4U
Just got a new Silencer NV5 and it does not make contact with the core and a few memory chips. I followed all the instructions, put a thin layer of AS5 on the core and silicone paste on memory chips and tried attaching the nv5 - only 5 out of 8 memory chips came in contact with it, core was not even close. When I pulled nv5 up after trying to fit it on the board, only 3 out of 4 (one was only half - just one memory chip out of the 2!) memory blocks had traces of paste on them and the center was still clean. Any suggections how to fix that? I hate sanding down the memory blocks, as it's gonna be a hell of a job to make it even and precise enough to fit.

mine was almost perfectly fine, i say almost cause one of the studs was a bit bent, and I had to straighten it out to get it to go through the holes on the card..

other than that, I hever had any problems like yours (make sure you remove the memory pads as suggested above if you havent)

geeze, i am not stupid u know. Everything is removed, memory pads came off with the stock HSF, and the rubber spacers have been out of the picture since I took out the nv5 out of the packaging. The friggin NV5 copper base is uneven - at least in terms of the memory blocks attached to it (little pieces of copper glued/soldered to the base). Some of them are higher than others, alright? That's my problem.

TehQuick said:
Some of them are higher than others, alright? That's my problem.
or your 6800GT PCB isn't flat. Tightening the screws should make it fit correctly. Use a 3x5 card on the heatsink if you don't think it's flat.

I only tightened the screws on the back of the NV5 with my fingers as tight as possible. If you overtighten the screws you may break the rubber peices.

Nah, I checked out the copper base and one memory slab is sticking out, it's like twice as high as the rest of them. There is nothing wrong with my 6800 board, it the stupid Chinese production quality. Stupid f*ckers (pardon my french) welded differently sized copper blocks for memory. Argh. :mad:

Anyways, hopefully the Arctic Cooling will pull thru and replace this POS heatsink for a "flat" one :rolleyes:

Back