[Help] SFF Dilemma

Hello everybody. I'm hoping to get some opinions and recommendations on what to do. :)

Parts I already have:
Core i7 940
Intel 160GB SSD
GTX 275

This will be my first SFF build and I'm currently trying to figure out which is the best route to go.

Option 1 - Shuttle SX58J3 Barebone

or

Option 2 - Sell the i7 for roughly $150-200, and pick up the following:
i5 750
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Silverstone SG-07

Some concerns I have for the Shuttle are:
- The reliability of PSU/Mobo
- Lack of USB 3.0 support on the Shuttle PC
- I will upgrade GPUs soon - either the 5870, or a next iteration. I want to make sure the PSU will support it.

Not a real heavy user: some minor photoshop, video editting, and gaming. Currently using a 24" monitor @ 1920x1200. Considering going to a Dell U2711.

So that's what I'm facing. Is it worth the extra effort to go with option 2?

thank for any help and suggestions!

what do you ahve for memory now? already have a triple channel kit?

I haven't purchased the memory yet - and that is actually another factor as to why i'm leaning more towards option 2 as long as I find 4 GBs sufficient.

then I would say go ahead & sell off what you got.. & Build from scratch.. You may also want to consider an AMD build though using the Asus mITX & a Phenom II x4 (or x6 if you can find a 95w one).

hmm, I haven't considered an AMD chip. I suppose I could look into it. Haven't been able to find an x6 95w though :( I do see it on their website being the HDT55TWFGRBOX. Hopefully the release date on it is soon.

An i5 should be plenty and would likely use less power than an X6 (even a 95w model). I currently have an i7 860, and even w/ HT disabled (basically an i5 760 @ this point) it's plenty fast for everything (games, encoding, etc).

The H55N-USB3 is pretty much the best ITX LGA1156 board there is, unless you want a P55 board, in which case DFI has one (although I'd probably get the GB)

hmm, I haven't considered an AMD chip. I suppose I could look into it. Haven't been able to find an x6 95w though :( I do see it on their website being the HDT55TWFGRBOX. Hopefully the release date on it is soon.

Tiger Direct has the 1055t 95w listed.

Back