Help:Setting up linksys wifi router to act as a bridge.

Brothernod

Limp Gawd
My network at home Consisted of a Linksys BEFSR whatever... as in the Cable/DSL router that most everyone had and a 4 port d-Link switch.

Everything was happy... then I got a laptop. SO I went out and bought a Linksys wifi router (i'll grab the specific model if needed). It's got 4 regular ethernet ports on the back plus wifi stuff.

The problem is that I don't want the wifi doing dhcp, I just want it to act as a pass through so the main router can do all of that. I need my computer that will be on the wireless network to be able to access the computer on the land line network.

Please help.

In the advanced options of your wireless you may have the ability to change the working mode between gateway or router. That might be what you're looking for if yours supports it.

Under the Dynamic Routing tab in Advanced setting there is the option of Gateway or Router.

That is what I want to play with? and if so what do I set it to? And will i need to make other changes?

why don't u just remove the first linksys from service and replace it with the wifi model?

and i believe you should set it to gateway.

Disable the DHCP service in the wireless router, then forget about the WAN port on it. Just run a cable to one of the LAN ports on the switch. They should be autosensing so you won't need a X-over cable. This will turn the router into an AP and switch, which is all you need it to do if you want your wired router to do the routing and addressing.

Do what ktweb said, just plug it straight into the switch part and forget there is even a WAN port on it. Also, don't forget to disable DHCP.

Adam

Back