• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help set up a new 4-HDD system

Nicepants42

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
772
I've got 4 Seagate 160gb sata drives that are going to be used in a new build (Specs at bottom). After reading this article, I'm not planning to set the drives up in a single RAID.

I'm not worried about redundancy becuase I have an external backup drive, and up until now I've been running these drives in one big RAID 0.

My question now is, how do I set up these drives for the best gaming and video encoding performance?

So far I'm thinking:
1) Set up 2 RAID 0's, (One with OS and swap file, the other for games)
OR
2) Set up one RAID 0 and two single drives (for 3 'drives' total) and put the OS on one, the swap file on another, and games on the last. Problem is, I don't know what would benefit the most from the RAID 0 (although I'm leaning toward the games).

What would be the best way to go if my top priority is game performance, seconded by content encoding/multitasking? Did I miss something? Is the article I referenced complete bunk?

Thanks in advance for input that is EXPLAINED to at least some degree.

New system is as follows:
ASUS A8R32-MVP Delux
Opteron 170
2x1gb Mushkin XP4000
2x X1800XT in crossfire
X-fi Xtrememusic
4x 160gb SATA HDD's (7200.9)
PCP&C Silencer 750

PS: I'm not interested in dropping more $$$ on a raptor. I got these drives for $40 each new, and the rest of the components were great deals also. I generally try to get the most for my money, and a few ms seek time improvement for $100 is not worth it to me.
 
I dont know what would be the best choice a lot of it is preference i would suggest option #2 because a RAID-0 only increases write performance not read performance. So if you do a lot of video encoding/writing video to file i would do that to a RAID-0 setup but as far as the other things i dont see there being any performance benefit. I would probably set up a RAID-0 for video encoding and i might put the swap file on there. I would take the other two and span them into a single 320GB drive.
 
When you say "encoding video", what are you doing? Converting DVDs into xvid/h264? Editing and compressing home movies to dvd? Describe it in more detail.

Raid 0 won't help you with cpu-bound tasks like compression. Run raid 0 for the games if you must, but the fastest way to get video to compress is a faster CPU. Having two seperate disks (or raid 0 volumes) to edit in is much faster than one large raid0 volume. I've done tests to that effect at some point.
 
unhappy_mage said:
When you say "encoding video", what are you doing? Converting DVDs into xvid/h264? Editing and compressing home movies to dvd? Describe it in more detail.

Raid 0 won't help you with cpu-bound tasks like compression. Run raid 0 for the games if you must, but the fastest way to get video to compress is a faster CPU. Having two seperate disks (or raid 0 volumes) to edit in is much faster than one large raid0 volume. I've done tests to that effect at some point.

Ripping from DVD and then converting to Xvid/mpeg4, etc. is what I am referring to.

I realize that RAID won't help conversions unless there are multiple volumes - my question revolved around how many volumes to have - I'm not considering having only one volume - did you even read my post?
 
Yes, I read your post. I realize you weren't considering a single volume. But I like to address all the possible scenarios; someone may have a similar problem at some point, search, and find this thread. Thus, I can help not only you, but other people with similar problems.

Is there a reason you're being so confrontational about this whole thing? Asking for input that's EXPLAINED seems a bit hostile.

In any case. I'd run a pair of raid 0 arrays; OS and swap on one, games and whatnot on the other. Documents and music etc scattered about haphazardly. :p

 
Explained input is helpful to others who may see this thread, and I generally dislike it when people post one-word replies for this very reason. I'm usually the other guy using the search function trying to learn something useful, and '2x RAID 0 ftw' doesn't exactly present a concrete argument.

I appreciate your suggestion though.
 
nitrobass24 said:
I dont know what would be the best choice a lot of it is preference i would suggest option #2 because a RAID-0 only increases write performance not read performance. So if you do a lot of video encoding/writing video to file i would do that to a RAID-0 setup but as far as the other things i dont see there being any performance benefit. I would probably set up a RAID-0 for video encoding and i might put the swap file on there. I would take the other two and span them into a single 320GB drive.

I do not understand why I would want to span two drives instead of creating a RAID 0. By spanning, I will negate any possible benefits of using the two drives for separate functions at the same time, and by not RAID'ing I will ensure that no additional write/read performance is gained from this sacrifice. This seems like a lose/lose situation, and is probably the last thing I would consider doing from any standpoint. Your logic escapes me.

As for RAID 0 only speeding up writes and not reads, I don't know where you're getting that information, but I suggest you look elsewhere.
 
Back
Top