Help set me at ease [H] VC gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

hity645

[H]F Junkie
Im pretty sure my XFX 8800GTS 320mb card started to die late sunday afternoon. I loaded up TF2 left the room and come back to both my monitors in a reddish tint with green boxes going diagonal across my screen(s). Computer was un-responsive so I hard reset and upon boot at the POST and following screens theres white lines on the left and right sides and every other screen had red/orange boxes in the same location. WinXP gets to loading and just when I get to the desktop bam, BSOD and reset. I tried to get the error code but it goes too fast and disabling automatic restart just locks the computer up. I took the card out hit it with some compressed air and tried again. Worked fine, no weird colors or lines on the screen, til I loaded up TF2 and played for about 2 minutes. Same thing happened with the reddish tint and green lines. Let the computer sit off for about an hour tried again and it worked fine, nothing on the screens, then about 10 minutes later on the desktop it crashed just like in TF2. I tried installing latest drivers in safe mode and the month previous drivers and still it crashes. Friend brought over his 7800 and everything worked fine.

Im assuming since I get weird boxes of color and lines during post and what not that the card is in fact dying a painful death. I already ordered a 9600 Palit card, but in the back of my mind I have a nagging feeling its something else. Thoughts or comments?

I think you are right in assuming that the card is dying. I have had cards do the same thing before they go tits up. Sounds like you already verified that a different video card works just fine. gl with your 9600.

Thanks. I hope I get my new one by Wed. I dont know what Im going to do without my computer for a couple days.

Card is dieing. Keep trying to boot up with it, it will die completely. Blow out the heat sink or at least look in it. If there was alot of dust in it, pay good attention to your new card and make sure it doesnt accumulate alot of shit in the fins, after such a long time i would guess heat killed your card due to a bunch of crap in the fins.

I dust my computer at least once a month with compressed air. It lasted me about a year so all is good.

Nice to have some confirming thoughts its not my M/B though. Cause then Id be upset. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back