• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HELP!! s939 cpu delima

B

BILDO

Guest
Ok, I gotta upgrade my CPU, been trying to buy a used FX-60 but they are not selling below $400 used... and thats dumb.

I found on newegg a Opty 185 2.6ghz

Is this processor good? Can I install the new proc without any problems or do I need to reinstall windows/drivers/bios/ and do I need to get the X2 gaming fix with this or not??

Right now I have a +3200 and I have never OCed nor do I know how. But I prolly would like to OC, and I heard the opty's you do not need extra cooling.

Lastly... all the specs between the FX-60 and the Opty 185 are the same except the HT being 2000 on the FX and 1000 on the Opty. WHAT IS HT???

Thanks all.
-Bildo
 
well.. i got mine fx60 oem from tigerdirect for like 299.. i dunno if they still have any left in stock but you can always check it out. Um.. if you can't find a fx60 for under 300.. then just go with that opty.. it'll be good. You don't need to do fresh install.. but as for dual core gaming you can download that amd dual core optimizer.
 
depending on how old your motherboard is, the most you'll need to do is update the to the latest bios release and possibly the dual core gaming fix (small patch install). The only difference between the Opteron 185 and the FX-60 is that the FX-60 has an unlocked multiplier (only used when overclocking). Assuming by your questions, you dont plan on overclocking thus you wont notice a difference if you go with an opty 185 or an FX-60.
 
What motherboard are you using? If your motherboard can take it, a slower clocked Opteron will probably overclock to 2.6ghz. Something like the Opteron 165 may work. However, if you want to get that CPU to 2.6ghz, your motherboard will have to be able to get to ~290mhz FSB. Mine can do that, but I know a lot of boards can't.

Check here for a good guide to overclocking.
 
i'd get the 185 opty. nice chip. not a ton of overclocking capability, but it does have a better multiplier than the 165 (11 i think)
 
The 165 is only a 9 mulitplier.

That being said. I have had it oc'd to 3ghz from 1.8ghz on air, and no problems.
 
Yeah, 3ghz is attainable on air with a good motherboard. 2.6 I could do on stock voltage with my 165. as 939 is aging I would suggest the 165 since it is cheaper and get you a great chip to start overclocking on.
 
Honestly, I would suggest you benefit from my recent experience. I grabbed an X2 4200+ off of ewiz for 120 bucks, and right away had that bad boy running at 2.8GHz, rock stable, and absolutely lightning fast coming from my Venice 3000+. The 11 multiplier, same as the Opty 185, REALLY made the difference. I only haven't gone further because the weather has been so hot lately, but I'm sure I could get at least close to 3.0. And it cost 120 bucks. This is all on a "dead" socket, so I'm suggesting you save the money buying the big pre-clocked chips, learn to overclock, and put the money you didn't spend in a savings account for when AM3 or Penryn comes along. :)
 
The Opty 185 has a 13 multiplier, Opty 180 is 12, Opty 175 is 11 and Opty 170 is 10
 
wow, thx for all the replys.

First off I have a Proactive AI A8N-e Nforce4 ultra motherboard.

Seoncdly, yes, I would like to OC because I want to pull all the life out of my s939 system that I can because I do not want to do a complete overhaul of my rig.

AMD 64 +3200
EVGA 7800GTX-e
A8N-e mobo
2gig of Platinum Geil DDR PC4000 RAM 7-2-2-4
X-fi eXtreme music
Antec P180 SuperMidTower
NeoPower 480Watt psu

So there are my specs, my processor has always bottlenecked my graphics card and I want to get a better CPU, then overclock it until AM3 and DDR3 come around.

So... Opty 185 ($325 new) or X2 +4800 ($300 used) or fx-60 ($400 used)
 
my 155 dollar 165 will be faster than your 325 dollar 185..

you have a good motherboard, i wouldnt worry about not getting the FSB up real high
 
I will second that. My previous motherboard was the a8n-e and it was fantastic. Got my venice 3000+ up to 2950!!! Really... get something cheaper and save your cash. There are some fantastic instructions on how to overclock the 939 breed here. It is quite thorough and should allow you to get at least up to 2.7ghz. Seems to be about average in my experience.
 
So you think OC my +3200 or get a cheep X2 and overclock that bad boy?
 
Definitely get an X2. If you can get your hands on a 4400+ or 4800+ great, since they have 2MB total of L2 cache rather than the 1MB total cache on the 4200+ or 4600+. Otherwise, the 42 and 46 are still great and inexpensive.
 
Back
Top