Help running USB from PC to TV

Pivo504

2[H]4U
The pc is in another room about 70 ft away from the big 55 inch screen tv I want to connect it too. I would like to run a USB to the den from the pc but not sure what is the best usb to get for this. Ive seen 50ft but nothing as long as 70ft. Is there better options out there?
Thanks appreciate the help.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I willbe connecting my pc which is in another room 70ft away to a big screen via hdmi to game on. I plan to use a controller so I will need to run a cable from the pc to the TV room via USB to game with a controller or mouse key board on 55 inch tv. How reliable are those cat 5 connections? That seems like the best solution but noticed its only 1.1 usb will that make a difference when using a m/k or controller? Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Ah, I see... makes sense now.

I've never used one but AFAIK they're fairly reliable for simple peripherals. Use cat6 cable if you can. Should be fine for m/k or controller. Will probably need a powered hub if you're trying to run all 3 at the same time. They do make powered usb 2 extenders but they are quite a bit more. http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Extender..._sim_pc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=18MS6GVKVTSPR83KPTTC

Edit: I know you said ~70' but if theres any way you could deal with 65' (possibly with another 6' extender) they do make this: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi...&qid=1422145193&sr=1-12&keywords=usb+repeater

Same deal applies there power wise, could probably do m/k *or* controller, need powered hub to do all 3 simultaneously.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
USB 1 will be perfectly fine for peripherals. Just don't use for it storage or a webcam or anything data intensive. That hub will work fine too. A little bit of overkill being that it's USB3 but I didn't see a powered USB 2 for really any cheaper and amazon makes good stuff.

You said contractor... are you running this behind walls? If you haven't already, consider terminating each end of the cat6 with just a generic ethernet wall plate. That will clean it up real nicely and give you kind of a generic bus for future stuff. Cat6 can be used to cheaply extend runs of a lot of signals... usb, hdmi, etc... Cat6 is fairly cheap, so you could run 1 or 2 more runs for future purposes for extra few dollars.

Contractor? Not cheaper to just buy another pc, or buy another 55 inch?

No..lol the pc i built cost a lot more than running a few wires...same goes for buying another TV like the one I have..around 2k..

Thanks for the link Tony. It seems that might be the better option since it will be 2.0usb for cheaper than getting the cat 6 and the usb 2 converters

No idea what the latency is like but there's always usb over ip using a raspberry pi. Free for once device, not sure if a hub consists of "one device" or not.

Back