Help resolving issue with sharing files

TehQuick

2[H]4U
I'm trying to setup local folder/file sharing between computers. Funny thing is: when computers are connected to the router through the LAN ports, everything works fine, but when I connect my laptop wirelessly (802.11N), I can't connect from the desktop to it, but I can go from laptop to the desktop. What's up with that? I'm running latest beta Tomato firmware with WPA2/AES security on my router, it that makes any difference.

I'm trying to setup local folder/file sharing between computers. Funny thing is: when computers are connected to the router through the LAN ports, everything works fine, but when I connect my laptop wirelessly (802.11N), I can't connect from the desktop to it, but I can go from laptop to the desktop. What's up with that? I'm running latest beta Tomato firmware with WPA2/AES security on my router, it that makes any difference.

what type of router ? Whats the ip info of the desktop and laptop ?

How are you accessing it ? from run * //ip or through network ?

It's ASUS RT-N16. IP is configured via DHCP on the router. I'm accessing it through windows networking. Like I said, the weird thing is that I can open folders on the notebook from my desktop when the notebook is connected through the LAN port but not the wireless, and laptop can access desktop folders through both.

It's ASUS RT-N16. IP is configured via DHCP on the router. I'm accessing it through windows networking. Like I said, the weird thing is that I can open folders on the notebook from my desktop when the notebook is connected through the LAN port but not the wireless, and laptop can access desktop folders through both.

Are there 2 vlans setup ? Is there a option to make the 2 connections separate, some of the new wireles unit allow you to make it so the wireless can't see the wired part of the lan. Check for that feature.

Also try pinging the machine from the laptop to the desktop. If you can ping it, then its not what i said, if you can't it sounds like that vlan separation feature is on.

Jason

what OS? Windows 7?

maybe you have the network type set differently between the wired and wireless connections?
ie, wireless is set to "public," which disables file sharing, wired is set to "home" which does allow file sharing.

Also try pinging the machine from the laptop to the desktop.

I can ping it, no problem. Besides, like I said above, I can access desktop from my laptop in wireless mode, but not the other way around.

Same thing with the network, it's set to "home network" setting, so it should be working

Back