Help request for a PC build

Neon01

[H]ard|Gawd
My 2080ti has me thinking that I might benefit from a full system upgrade as it's been a number of years. Visited the bottlenecker site and it told me I was 32% bottlenecked with my 4770k and modest OC. I'm sure that's probably inaccurate as hell, but I also figure I can get some nice improvements to my SSD speed (and size - I'd like to go to a 1 TB) switching to NVMe as well as getting the benefits of DDR4 over my current hardware.

So I'm looking for hardware suggestions - mainly for CPU, but also for the rest. I was in my local Microcenter and the guy there had me really thinking about a Ryzen 1800x, since I don't need the cooler from a 2600/2700x with my water loop. Then again it seems like everything online indicates that Intel is better for games with their higher clocks. Though considering I game mostly at 3820x1600 or UHD, I'm not sure how much difference that makes. On the Intel side, 8700k seems like the standard nowadays, but I saw the 8086k at Microcenter, and that looks pretty interesting too. I know folks are talking about a 9900k recently too, but not knowing prices I'm not sure if that's worth it.

I filled in some answers to a standard Q&A template I found, if this helps:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

80% gaming, 15% general desktop use, 5% photo processing/video encoding

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I'll say $1250 but that's sort of a soft number. I only upgrade CPU/motherboard every 5 or so years, so I want to do it right.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

U.S. Near Baltimore MD. Have a Microcenter nearby :D

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, RAM, Motherboard, NVMe SSD, CPU water block

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Everything in my signature excluding the CPU, motherboard, SSD, ram, or CPU water block

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Primary is a UHD TV (2016 LG OLED), 55". Secondary is an Acer 38" 3820x1600 ultrawide that does 75hz and Freesync

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now(ish), but willing to wait until Black Friday for great deals or if compelling hardware releases are coming

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc

This list is pretty outdated, but I need NVMe support, USB 3.0, USB-C is a plus, and more USB ports are always better because I have tons of USB accessories.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, Win10 64 bit

Thanks

Intel is not only about higher clocks but more Instructions Per Clock (IPC) in general. Top end, all around gaming performance generally favors Intel. So, get an 8700k and be done with it. You can spend a bit more on an 8086k or the 9000 stuff, if you like.

But, since you have $1250 to spend I'd say get a TR, MB and RAM. Give the money to AMD. Intel doesn't really need your cash.

NVMe is sort of a fad IMHO in the sense that if you can get a 1TB SSD for the price of a 512 GB nvme, you are better off with the SSD as you can just hold all of the games on there. If you are so inclined, pick up a 256gb nvme just for your OS and other common programs.

At those resolutions, your CPU is NOT the bottleneck. If you still have the itch, either get the 8700k on a z-390 or find an AMD system that suits you.

Why is it a fad? All the test data I've seen says it performs at something like 10x the speed of sata. Even seek times are an order of magnitude better. Not sure about the costs, but I've got my eye on the hp 1tb that runs about $200. Partially this is because I'm constantly having to uninstall and reinstall games since it's nearly always full.

Regarding bottleneck, I'm sure you're right, but my understanding is that it could help with frame rate minimums and overall smoothness. No? I'm thinking about grabbing the 8700k and having it professionally delidded and lapped. I'm not sure whether that's a better direction, or to wait for the 9700k. Not sure if that will actually be faster or not with more actual cores but no hyperthreading.

Why is it a fad? All the test data I've seen says it performs at something like 10x the speed of sata. Even seek times are an order of magnitude better. Not sure about the costs, but I've got my eye on the hp 1tb that runs about $200. Partially this is because I'm constantly having to uninstall and reinstall games since it's nearly always full.

Regarding bottleneck, I'm sure you're right, but my understanding is that it could help with frame rate minimums and overall smoothness. No? I'm thinking about grabbing the 8700k and having it professionally delidded and lapped. I'm not sure whether that's a better direction, or to wait for the 9700k. Not sure if that will actually be faster or not with more actual cores but no hyperthreading.

If you are running Crystal Diskmark or something the whole time, then yes it will be 10x faster. In real world tests, especially game loads, not so much:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/teamgroup_mp32_m2_nvme_480gb_ssd_review,13.html

As for the min frame rates, 4/8 is still enough for all of the games I have seen at those resolutions, but if you multitask with 2 screens then of course that changes.

As for the 9700k, I would wait to see some thorough reviews in a week. I really think the 8700k will be just as good. If you can get a good deal at microcenter, I would snatch one up.

Back