help, reinstalled windows, but it lags.

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
I had to install a fresh copy of windows because it didn't work after I haven been using the HDD on another computer. After installing windows, and the programs I need, I find that sometimes when I move a window, it goes choppy and warpy when moving it around. The same when reading text and scrolling down. And also, for like firefox, it takes like 30 seconds for it to open up. I tried spyware removal, scanning for viruses, checking if any programs are running that waste memory, but nothing, my 800mhz pc100 computer loads things faster than mine, and doesn't lag at all. What could the problem be? Hopefully SP2 will remove the lag... dunno why, but I hope. I was thinking its a video card problem, but I installed all the drivers, and changed the clocks' and stuff, but nothing. Thanks for any help. Um, and in task manager, it says firefox.exe is using 79,168k. Maybe firefox is whats lagging me? But also, when i launch any little thing, my windows begins to lag, and it wasnt so with my 800mhz comp. Also, if i restore down my window, and start moving it around fast, it starts to chop and lag and stuff.... i also get chops in playing games also. dunno what it is

Get your hardware @ stock speeds, format and reinstall windows (slipstreamed with SP2 of course), once everything is running decently OC again :D

Good Luck

OldMX

Bump....

I cant even open IE while running winamp without my music beginning to go slooooowmooo :mad:

I just tried reinstalling the video card, but still nothing. And I have a nforce2 chipset.

I'm thinking it has to be windows. the way it controls the usage of the cpu when i open a program, or my ram, I have no idea, but everything lags and chops when I open a program. :(

Did you load the chipset drivers from Nvidia after the latest SP? Always do updates, and then load drivers.

Download a Knoppix ISO and make a bootable CD with it. Load Knoppix and try to stress the system, if it continues to lag than it's a hardware issue. Disconnect your harddrive and run Knoppix again. If it's fine than I am sorry to say your harddrive is dying, replace it ASAP if you want any hope of recovering files. Otherwise, clear the CMOS load default BIOS Setting and then run Knoppiz again, if it's still laggy try using Memtest86 to see if you memory is error-ridden (although I can't see how that would lag the system, normally it would just crash).

I had a similar lag issue about 4 years ago when I bought a 20gig hard drive. I'd stick it in the system and Windows 98 would lag, I'd disconnect the drive and it would be fine (it was a secondary drive). A week later my motherboard nolonger saw the harddrive. (Damn Maxtor)

I see you are using an IBM Deathstar :eek: , you have my sympathy.

Back