Help.....really.....something maybe broke??

magoo

[H]F Junkie
So......computer in specs.

Last night out of nowhere, my sound system makes a screeching noise, and the game (DeadSpace2) crashes, the computer freezes requiring a hard start.

Nothing has changed and my board is the same as it has been for over 2 years.
Yes it's OCd, Ci7 920 at 4.1 GHZ, 1.4625VCore, and stock memory voltage and timings.
Everything is watercooled.

Reboot......now the board won't POST.
Cleared CMOS............POSTed.

Now.......useable RAM is 3.99 GBs and sometimes is 2.0 GB??? To be honest, I don't know how long that's been going on....I mean, the board has been a rock, so I never check the system specs in Windows.

The task manager now shows I have a SINGLE CORE CPU????

This is with a correct BIOS settings for HT and All Cores checked off.

I am stumped,nothing I do has fixed this. I changed the RAM physically. Memtest x 3 (each stick) is fine.

I think my CPU broke?
I am totally stumped.

Cliff notes:
Turned on Comp.
Loud noise on starting game.
Nothing works right now.:eek:

Help.

Last edited:
Magoo...

My first thought would be to remove all overclock's and re-flash the BIOS...and then go from there.

LC

Reset cmos, remove and put back the CPU in the socket and see if that helps.
also try 1 stick of ram if that didnt work.

Magoo...follow up.

When you're going into a game, you're going to start pulling hard from the Power Supply...Those AX1200(Flextronic)'s haven't been on the market for two years? Is this a recent addition?

I'd break the system down to its bare necessities and start testing with a different PSU. Again, the first thing I would do is re-flash the BIOS, and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magoo...

My first thought would be to remove all overclock's and re-flash the BIOS...and then go from there.

LC

Did that.
Things show up FUBAR even at stock settings.

Fuck I don't want to take the Heatsink off.

The PSU has been the same since late last year and has powered 480s and 580s with no problems.

Reset cmos, remove and put back the CPU in the socket and see if that helps.
also try 1 stick of ram if that didnt work.

Flashed the BIOS.
Did the one memory stick thing and tested all of them against memtest....all OK.:confused:

Hmm...

I'd test the CPU in a different system.

This screeching as you we're going into a game reminds me of this recent thread here...Click Here

LC

Try a different power supply. Those are the most highly overlooked components in PC troubleshooting.

The power is fine.
The "sound" I spoke about came from the sound speakers, not the computer.

The shut down, ie crash was probably a software conflict.

I just can't figure out why the device manager shows 8 processors, but task manager one, as does CPU-ID, and I get all kinds of crazy memory amounts from 1.99 to 6 GB useable??? Yikes.

sounds to me like your memory controller bit the dust... your gonna have to pull the CPU and test in a different board. a re-seat may be all it needs...

/edit wait... i had something like this happen when a card came loose in a PCI slot... i dont remember if it was my sound card or my raid card however. but it went SQUEEEEEE *hang* reboot into a bios that was all messed up (trying to run a 1.4ghz athlon chip at 4.8ghz or something crazy....) reset the bios and memory would show up weird... would test fine on that board, replaced the ram anyway (upgrade) and when i replaced that motherboard i retested, and it tested bad.

I have heard of strange things happening with memory when the CPU is mounted incorrectly, usually too hard/tightly with the heatsink which causes strange anomalies in regards to the CPU's integrated memory controller.

I have heard of strange things happening with memory when the CPU is mounted incorrectly, usually too hard/tightly with the heatsink which causes strange anomalies in regards to the CPU's integrated memory controller.

My question is this: why would my cpu go bonkers all of a sudden after 2 years?

I can't buy the "heatsink is too tight" when it was installed two years ago using engineering calipers, to the specification recommended by the Heatkiller company.

I guess the overclock my have finally gotten to it? But if the CPU is damaged, why would it run at all?

I played over an hour of Dead Space 2 last night and the thing ran fine......except it only shows as a single core and the memory capacity is all FUBAR'd.

I am planning to remove the HS and reseat the CPU tomorrow just for the sake of doing it, but I think the board is FUBAR.....which would suck........:(

I've never seen a CPU go bad in my 16 years of being a tech. Yeah, I know it "can" happen, it's extremely not likely and I think it's funny how people automatically blame the CPU a lot of times. I'd say your motherboard needs to be replaced if swapping RAM and trying a different PSU doesn't change anything.

I've had a large share of motherboards just up and die after years of being perfectly stable.

I've never seen a CPU go bad in my 16 years of being a tech. Yeah, I know it "can" happen, it's extremely not likely and I think it's funny how people automatically blame the CPU a lot of times. I'd say your motherboard needs to be replaced if swapping RAM and trying a different PSU doesn't change anything.

I've had a large share of motherboards just up and die after years of being perfectly stable.

I agree.
I think it's my board. Which sucks. I got another cpu to try.
If so....it's back to evga it goes....hello. RMA.

Actually, CPU's dying are MUCH more common now than in the old days (although Pentium 4's DID die by the bucketload when being overvolted thanks to SNDS). Nothing died at stock in the old days, though, except RAM or mainboards. Heck, even VRAM didn't die from being overclocked like it does now...

CPU's now are a LOT more complicated, and usually its memory controller problems ..

Back