Help! Raid 0 (striping) Missing an entire drive

Hardware:
EVGA 780i SLI mobo
2x Seagate 1TB Drive, model# ST31000528AS
1x Seagate 1TB Drive, model# ST31000333AS
Intel Q6600 @ 3ghz

Okay, essentially what I'm seeing here is that while the BIOS / Raid utility in bios sees all three drives and assigns the array to have 2.7 TB of space.

The OS sees a total of roughly 2TB of space. What's going on here?

My only guesses are either the Nvidia drivers don't like the different model # drives or that win7 can't deal with >2tb of space on a single HD. Neither seems extremely likely.

Appreciate any help given.

The array has been set as bootable, if that's what you're asking.

Would that take almost an entire drive's worth of space though?

Mathematically, If all of the drives are still being used, then this means that each drive is running at about 667gb. This makes no sense. Where did the 233 GB per drive disappear to?

MBR partitioning can only support up to 2TB disks. You need to use GPT partitions on larger volumes.

Then would you recommend I boot off a smaller drive and use the RAID array for storage?
As in, make the array non-bootable?

Then would you recommend I boot off a smaller drive and use the RAID array for storage?
As in, make the array non-bootable?

You can boot from GPT partitions in Windows 7, but it takes a bit of trickery IIRC. If you don't have a specific reason to though I wouldn't boot from your storage array.

MBR vs. GPT doesn't really have anything to do with bootable vs. non-bootable, it's the way the partition information is stored at the front of the disk.

So then I'll just use the smaller drive to boot with. Is formatting the array to GPT simple to do?

Okay, so I used diskmgmt.msc and as it opened it pretty much asked whether or not I wanted MBR or GPT. Thanks for all your help, man.

Now to start using this array, haha.

Back