Help - PS3 and search

gnewbury

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - September 2007
2 things -
1, MAJOR - My PS3 production has dropped like Giuliani, - It's been trying to download a WU for an hour, any suggestions?

2. What happened to the search feature on the forum?

the PS3 server looks like it's been pretty hosed for a few days, i'd guess they're working on it :confused:

search was disabled on the forums for the time being due to the crash thing last week afaik

Thanks, missed the crash.
Crash is good.
Crash was the nickname of a knockout brilliant redhead I dated HEAVILY in college.
mmmmmmmhhhh Crash.

My PS3 production has been way off for the past few days. I was watching it closely as the PS3 was nearing 100 WUs completed. It seems that it has been downloading OK as it always seems to be working on a WU. My total ppd has dropped as well.:(

Last night I stopped the PS3 and restarted and it uploaded a WU. Then the PS3 hard drive went wild for many minutes. Finally, after a restart and minutes of silent thrashing, the hard drive light finally went out. Seems to be working better this morning...

Fold on!

My PS3 seems to be getting a WU and returning it no problem but my stats are only showing one WU for the last three days from it.

Same here - might as well turn the power-hog off. :(

Give this a try.
  • Stop Client.
  • Turn off the PS3.
  • Take a piss.
  • Restart PS3.
  • Restart Client.

Worked for me, although I've seen that Stanford's PS3 Servers are having problems.
It's probably superstitious behavior, but worth a try...don't forget the third step.;)

Fold on!

Give this a try.
  • Stop Folding.
  • Turn off the PS3.
  • Take a piss.
  • Restart PS3.
  • Restart Folding.

Worked for me, although I've seen that Stanford's PS3 Servers are having problems.
It's probably superstitious behavior, but worth a try...don't forget the third step.;)

Fold on!

Except for:[*]Take a piss.
I did, it didn't work.

Some good news. The servers have continued to improve (25-30% failure now, which means that at least 1 out of 2 attempts should work, so only ~2 retries should be needed). We've been implementing and testing lots of different strategies and I think we've found one that works best. We've also been in close contact with Sony and they have some ideas on the client side and are working on revisions there.
We've also drasitically brought down the assigns on vsp06, the server which was assigning large WU's, so to make sure that it's not loaded when those WU's need to come back (which should be about now). So, the bottom line is that the server load is still extremely heavy, but the situation is continuing to improve. Most importantly, the client mods should prevent this from happening in the future.
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/02/ps3-server-is-1.html

The PS3 does keep units queued as the other clients do. I'm assuming 10 as the other clients do. Per the FCF, there's no way to check the number of units queued up, although if this is wrong, I'd love to hear how.

As far as whether or not to keep running, I'm leaning more towards no, we all have to have at least 10 units in the queue now which probably means that each unit finishing is causing the oldest one to get tossed.

As far as whether or not to keep running, I'm leaning more towards no, we all have to have at least 10 units in the queue now which probably means that each unit finishing is causing the oldest one to get tossed.

It would really help if we knew the number of completed WUs the queue can hold.
Anyone?

Fold on or Game on?

Here is another update. The suggestion is that the issues are on the client end rather than the server end

Wouldn't surprise me. I wish they'd get rid of the fluff and just make the program work. I don't need pretty music, graphical proteins, and a globe. Just the status box and a screensaver would be enough for me.

Did a little further reading over at FCF, Bruce says its 10 units, the current one and 9 completed. Nothing official from a FAQ at Stanford or Sony though.

By stopping and starting the client a couple times I did manage to get a couple units to go through this morning.

Wouldn't surprise me. I wish they'd get rid of the fluff and just make the program work. I don't need pretty music, graphical proteins, and a globe. Just the status box and a screensaver would be enough for me.

I do like the music feature, although it does impact folding speed a bit. The stats are nice, although it would be good to have the queue status (especially these days!), and to be able to view the stats without the protein visuals. But I'm with you. I got the PS3 to fold 23.5/7 (30 min of goofing around)... and to try to stay ahead of you. I see you're predicted to pass me in 6.2 months...:eek:

Fold on or Game on?

Our investigation so far has found that this issue is due to a problem in the client, and we have identified a specific issue that's causing this problem. With the completion of this investigation Saturday night, we have given the info of the results of our debugging and our plan on how to fix this to Sony last night, and we are hoping that they can come up with an updated client soon. Unfortunately with the PS3, we cannot update the client ourselves, otherwise we would release a client update ourselves, as we have done in the past as needed. Therefore, over the last few days, we have worked on server side tweaks (the only part we can work on) while Sony can work on the client. Before the client gets updated, we expect that the situation will continue to improve gradually but with the issues we have been seeing.
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/02/ps-issues-updat.html

The deadlines are too tight on the units to keep waiting for it to clear up and/or a new client from Sony. I'm thinking about turning off the PS3 until this is fixed. No sense in wasting 140W of power 24/7 for nothing.

Another Update

I have gotten 4 units to turn in today, with one showing up on my stats. As for the deadlines, they've extended them for all PS3 units until the issue is cleared up.

I have gotten 4 units to turn in today, with one showing up on my stats. As for the deadlines, they've extended them for all PS3 units until the issue is cleared up.
Then in that case you guys with PS3s might be better off continuing to fold. Stanford should have this policy for all problems not originating from the user including server issues.

Another Update

Oh good. Nevermind then.

Another update for the PS3 folders.

My units have been uploading and downloading without incident since yesterday, just waiting for several turned in previously to finally hit the stats page. Stanford will be taking care of that once the final client/server issues have been taken care of.

We had a long meeting with Sony yesterday to brainstorm fixes that we can do *before* a new client is released. We've come up with a plan, coded it yesterday, and we've started to roll it out today. The result is that clients will wait a bit to get work, but in their waiting, uploads and downloads for those that do get through will go smoothly. The new client will have these waits set up for general cases, but we think we can generate one in an adhoc manner with what we've set up. If all goes well, this fix should solve the issue in about a day or two. If not, we will do more brainstorming until the new client goes out.
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/02/ps-issues-upd-2.html

Looks like things are getting back to normal and past WUs are finally hitting the stats. The default PS3 username just had close to 2 million points post last update.

A quick trip over to FCF will show that they're certainly losing people. Its a real bitch fest in the PS3 section.

That 2 million point update Tuesday night looked promising, but I'm back to not being able to upload half the units and the ones that do aren't making it to the stats.

This is really stupid. My machine simply won't upload units and I'm now I'm working on one of the new 1500-pointers that probably won't upload either after 40 hours of crunching. How did they mess the program up so quickly and why don't they just release the previous version?

This is really stupid. My machine simply won't upload units and I'm now I'm working on one of the new 1500-pointers that probably won't upload either after 40 hours of crunching. How did they mess the program up so quickly and why don't they just release the previous version?

Because its Sony, and Sony hates you.

Yea, we'll see. I haven't gotten any PS3 points since Tuesday.

I'm BAACK!! From a week of no net trip.

I should have called Celerator out on this before:

Give this a try.
  • Stop Folding.
    <snip>

Fold on!

Those two words - "stop" followed by "Folding" should never be used on this forum!!!!!!
"stop the client" - ok :)
But those two words cause health problems in dedicated folders.

Anyways - have not had a chance to check SWMBO's PS3, but my last day shows no little 300 pointers for the PS3.

The "off button" is looking pretty good. :(

Sony has been working on a new client to fix several client-side bugs which have come to light during the last few days. Once that new client is in, we can set the servers back to normal and all should be well, assuming the client addresses the issues we're facing. For now, we (Stanford) have been trying to do what we can server-side to work around some critical bugs in the 1.3 client to allow for both client uploads and downloads. It's easy to get uploads or downloads working, but with the current state of 1.3, it's hard to get both. We have had to rewrite server code to work around these 1.3 bugs and I think we've made some progress.
The bugs in the 1.3 code are very subtle and the sort that only comes up once a critical mass of 1.3 clients exist and start to hit the server collectively in incorrect ways. Sony QA didn't show this up, as one can't QA 30,000 clients. However, we have discussed in detail with Sony some ideas for helping to prevent this in the client in the future, and this behavior is being removed for the upcoming patch.
I want to address some misconceptions in the comments posted here. There is a problem in the client, and the server changes were made to address this and work around the bug (the server changes did not create the problem, but were done in response to the problem). Also, Sony QA is extremely rigorous, but these sorts of things can't be found until clients hit critical mass. Finally, we have tried several server code changes and the reasons they didn't help appear to be that the client had multiple aspects which didn't behave as expected (eg client bugs) which rendered our changes not as useful as one would have expected at first (forcing us to reconsider what one can do server-side).
Last night, we tried a new strategy where we use the AS to help control the weight of clients going to the WS. This seems to be working as we're getting lots of uploads right now as well as a steady stream of downloads. We hope that this is a reasonable balance and if not, we will continue to see what we can do from here until the new client comes out.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/02/ps-issues-upd-7.html

I'm BAACK!! From a week of no net trip.

I should have called Celerator out on this before:

Those two words - "stop" followed by "Folding" should never be used on this forum!!!!!!
"stop the client" - ok :)
But those two words cause health problems in dedicated folders.

Anyways - have not had a chance to check SWMBO's PS3, but my last day shows no little 300 pointers for the PS3.

The "off button" is looking pretty good. :(

Thank you for catching my grievous error.:eek: I have edited the post to change "Folding" to "Client" and have washed my mouth out with soap and gargled with Windex.

For the past few days, my PS3 has managed to turn in a few WUs, but the rate of WU completion has dropped significantly from January. I've watched two WUs complete. Each behaved the same. First it would begin the upload and get to around 50% and then error out, saying that there was a server connection problem. It would then schedule a retry for a few seconds later, then error, then schedule for a longer wait, error, and so on until I got bored and turned off the TV. Later, when I checked, the uploads had happened. I might have taken a piss in there somewhere ;)...

I also noticed that prior to the last day or so, the PS3 would download a new WU while still trying to upload a completed WU. Now it seems to wait until the completed WU is uploaded. Have others noticed this? Is this an attempt to keep our queue of completed WUs from overflowing and losing work?

Once again, apologies to the [H]orde, and
Fold On!

It's hard to tell from my Treo browser, but it looks like I'm getting credit now.

I agree. My PS3 is finally turning in WUs and crediting them (at least to the PS3). My ppd has recovered, too. :)

Fold on!

Back