Help! Problems with DP-301U printer server after Win7 upgrade

eezip

n00b
I had set up a D-Link DP-301U print server on a network with a Canon MP530 all-in-one printer. The DP-301U was wired to a combo FiOS modem/wireless router, and there were 2 computers on the network: a PC with WinXP and a Mac laptop (using AppleTalk), both wireless. All was fine and both computers could print.

I hadn't used a print server before, but following the instructions and using my head made it pretty simple. I was surprised at how it just worked right away.

The WinXP PC was then replaced with a new PC running Win7. And that's where the trouble started. First, I made sure I could see the print server's webpage and ping it - both were just fine so I didn't expect any trouble. I added a new printer by creating a new TCP/IP port, as before, and set up the printer just as I had in WinXP. All seemed to go well, but I can't print.

I can still ping the print server, I can still access the DP-301U's configuration webpage, and if I look at the properties of the printer, the Ports tab tells me I have the right IP address.

I can plug into the printer and print without any problems.

I contacted D-Link support, where I was informed to do exactly what I'd already done and told them I'd already done (that's just how it goes ). I did make sure I'd exactly followed D-Link's Win Vista steps for the DP-301U. The positive from D-Link is that they didn't tell me Win7 is unsupported; although I'd have found that hard to believe since all it does is intercept TCP/IP data which should be the same regardless of OS (??).

I Googled and Googled without finding anything helpful. It appears this print server just works for most folks, like it did for me with WinXP. Then I tried unplugging and resetting the print server. Now I can't even print from the Mac laptop! However, printing from the Win7 PC is critical while the Mac laptop doesn't really need to print.

I took screenshots of everything but don't know how relevant it might be. Let me know if seeing anything would be helpful. If I've forgotten any piece of information just ask for it.

Hopefully I'm a moron and there's a simple solution. Any help you can provide is appreciated. TIA!

I never mentioned that this was Win7 x64. Sorry.

I followed the recommendations at the Newegg customer review page for the DP-301U which said to turn on LPR byte counting. However, that didn't immediately work, so I tried 2 other things on a lark: pulling the plug on the USB cable while installing and changing the print server's IP address. I followed the same procedure I've been using, but with the new IP address, and then chose to print a test page. I then finally plugged in the printer and it said it was printing. Sure enough, a test page came out!

I tried several other documents, pictures, etc. and all is well. It's printing again! Even the Mac can print again, and thanks to AppleTalk I didn't have to re-configure anything!

So, for Win7 x64 with a DP-301U, there appears to be several important steps which aren't other documentated (at least that I could find):
1. Check the "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" box on the TCP/IP port creation form.
2. Leave the USB printer cable disconnected until the very last step.

Back