!!HELP!! Problem with EMI

FrizzleFried

Limp Gawd
I was not sure where to put this post...but since I am dealing with an overclocked computer, here it goes...

I am having a SEVERE problem with Electro-Magnetic Interference. When my computer is on, (a) my garage door opener will not operate with the remote (the wall mounted wired push-button works), and (b) my keyless entry system to my vehicle does not work either. I am 100% sure it is related to my computer because as soon as I power off my computer, the garage door functions as normal and my keyless entry works fine as well! I have done a little testing with my trucks keyless entry system and it appears that the interference extends out from my computer some 50 to 60 feet or so minimum (through the exterior stuccoed wall, across the yard, and in to the street where my truck sits). My garage door opener is approximately 40-50 feet (as the crow flies) from my computer. I do have a window in the case, and I when i tried to put a non-windowed case side next to it to block the interference, it did not fix the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to rectify this situation? Right now it's not a HUGE deal, but I will be moving to Idaho soon, my office/computer room will be closer to my garage, and I will have not 1 but 2 garage door openers to contend with (and the wife has made it clear that the garage door opener MUST function as normal PERIOD (she doesn't dig parking outside in sub-freezing temps).

HELP!!!

Thanks!

are you like running DUAL 1 kilowatt pcpower cooling powersupplies?

maybe try and move the computer to a different circuit in the house?

other then that i have no ideas.

Sounds like either whatever circuit you are plugged into in the office is the same the runs the garage door opener. This would amplify the signal interference thus creating the problem.

Other than that what stuff do you have running in your "office." Cellphones, wireless house phones, fax machines, Large monitors and the likes will all put out electrical interference. If they are all "cluster fucked" in the same small desk then they will basically create a large "ion cloud" of "cluster fucked" interference.

Past that the last thing i can think of is that something in your office that is powered by the computer or on the same circuit as the computer, and this item is putting out the same frequency as the opener and keyless entry (very odd). Have you ever had you alarm or garage door act strangly when using the opposite remote, ie. using opener and car doors try to unlock/lock and vice versa.

Thats about all i can come up with though.

Nope on both accounts. This happens when I only run the computer. The computer is at the back of the house, the garage door the front of the house. I have tried different circuits (but shouldnt have had to cuz it IS a different circuit...and I know my car keyless entry isn't hooked up to it!). This problem started when I switched from my AGP MSI motherboard to my DFI PCIe motherboard/7800GT. My wifes computer causes no such problem....it is strange, VERY strange...

Back