Help plz, Linksys router causing internet speed to be cut in half (20mbps vs 50mbps)

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Hello, comcast recently upgraded the speeds in my area from the normal blast 25mbps to 50mbps.

However my speed was still staying around 20mbps or so. So I was told by cs to try plugging my modem directly into the computer to test it and bam, my speed was reaching 54'ish mbps.

So the problem is the router. It's a linksys WRT54GL running old firmware, v4.30.1, HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu13c [Feb 7 2006].

Going to grab a new firmware and see how that goes, anyone have recommendations? Settings to change or something?

I don't know a lot about routers, had this one for years and never really had problems with it til now.

WRT54G only supports 802.11G, which has a maximum data rate of 54mbps. With wireless you usually get approx 50% of the data rate since its a half-duplex medium, meaning ~27mbps in the best case scenario.

Short answer: buy a 802.11n router.

I have it connected by wire to my computer.

I also just upgraded the firmware to the newest available and still am only pulling 20'ish mbps.

Shouldn't I at least be able to pullt the 54mbps max, as you said?

The 54Mbps limit would be imposed by wireless.

If you're cabled directly into it, and still seeing such low speeds, its very possible that the unit being so old -- it just doesnt have the power for that kind of throughput.

The 54Mbps limit would be imposed by wireless.

If you're cabled directly into it, and still seeing such low speeds, its very possible that the unit being so old -- it just doesnt have the power for that kind of throughput.

+1 x 10. It's old :) time to replace her !:cool:

lol even Linksys support chat guy was like "That's old......would you like to upgrade?" Wouldn't even help me fix hte problem either and asked me to pay 30 bucks fee for support.

Guess I will have to upgrade then.

What are some good routers for now? Not looking to spend over a 100, 50-80 is my sweet spot.

I don't run a lot of things. Mainly two computers (usually only one of them at a time though), my Ps3/Xbox 360, and a laptop that use it.

Do most new wireless routers also support wired connections?

I was looking at this router on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wir...81&sr=1-4&keywords=n+router#productPromotions

Is that a good one? I can't seem to find if it supports wired connections too though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most wireless routers will have a wired switch built in.

lol even Linksys support chat guy was like "That's old......would you like to upgrade?" Wouldn't even help me fix hte problem either and asked me to pay 30 bucks fee for support.

Guess I will have to upgrade then.

What are some good routers for now? Not looking to spend over a 100, 50-80 is my sweet spot.

I don't run a lot of things. Mainly two computers (usually only one of them at a time though), my Ps3/Xbox 360, and a laptop that use it.

Do most new wireless routers also support wired connections?

I was looking at this router on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wir...81&sr=1-4&keywords=n+router#productPromotions

Is that a good one? I can't seem to find if it supports wired connections too though.

I've never even heard of that brand, so I'd probably avoid it.

Processing power is what's important. You need to get a router which is actually rated for 50 Mbps on the WAN link. I've never seen a consumer wireless router that doesn't have at least a few switch ports in the back for wired connections, so that should be the least of your worries.

There IS a router recommendations thread stickied at the top of this forum. While the first post is now a little out of date (though I'd still recommend the WNDR3700 or its successors, the WNDR4300 and WNDR4500). I'd take a look at that thread (particularly the more recent posts) to get a feel for what brands and models you should be looking for.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226866

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
...irregardless of connection type.

If you're going for a new one I'd go for TP-Link TL-WDR3600 or TL-WDR4300 if you're in the US.
//Danne

Back