Help Please. Zero Display Device Error ?!?!?

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
I've just tried putting the cat 7.6's on and i get a Zero Display Service Error. I rebooted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner. Tried again and same thing. Tried going back to the 7.4's and still the same error. I'm on XP sp2 with a X1900XTX

Anyone know how to fix this?

Oh and sorry if this has been answered before. I'd do a search but it seems to be disabled at the moment. At least i dont see a search button anymore:confused:

Ok I have never had this error before but, I would suspect either faulty vid card or the vid card has become slightly unseated, but since you can access safemode then I think its seated properly.

I would presume that its a driver problem and when you were uninstalling your first set of drivers it messed up and did something, maybe corrupted windows files or whatever ? try and restore the pc back to a previous time, like a day or so before your problem and if any files that are corrupt before you do that should get fixed when you do the restore.

thats all I can say, as I dont use ati cards and I dont really have any knowledge of ati drivers and how good they are at fucking up pc's.

try the windows restore and see if it helps.

Well i've tried a system restore and that didnt help.

However. I better clarify that i only get the error when installing the display drivers, not in general use. The card seems to work semi ok. Sometimes games work fine but other times the monitor just switches off and the pc locks.:(

I think I once got that on a 9600 pro. I tried formatting and everything, but I think the card was hosed.

ah dammit. I wanted to hold off getting a new card till the next refresh. I'll see what happens for a while first. Bloody typical though. My 360 died last week. Still waiting for that to be repaired. Wasnt too bothered since i got a load of games i can play on pc. Now my gfx card looks to be dying. Typical. :D At least i have an X1300 as backup.:eek:

Actually. I'm gonna see if i get the same error with that card. Worth a shot. At least i can see if it really is a hardware fault.:cool:

EDIT: Same issue with the X1300. Hmmmm. Might be reformat time. Think i'll see what happens with Vista

I got the error when installing both my x1950s, one AGP and one PCIe. Both worked fine after rebooting after driver install.

No idea what the deal is. Have you installed you installed your chipset drivers?

When is it giving you the error, in the log? If so, it should state what it was for.

I got the error when installing both my x1950s, one AGP and one PCIe. Both worked fine after rebooting after driver install.

No idea what the deal is. Have you installed you installed your chipset drivers?

Yeah, its an ATI chipset and the drivers are included in the catalysts. My 1300 seems to work fine. No crashes so far. But i'm gonna give it till the weekend just in case.

When is it giving you the error, in the log? If so, it should state what it was for.

It gives the error when you install the drivers. They install and then the error appears. Then the control center installs. I havent checked the log as i cant find one.

Found this out at extremeoverclocking, it's a little old, but it sounds like it may work. They have you manually install the driver and then manually install the CCC console. I'm wondering if it's trying to install a feature you don't have, like VIVO and that's why your having a problem. Anyway, try this:

Uninstall everything that has to do with ATI, but keep the installation directory that the "catalyst installer" creates "..\ATI\SUPPORT\.... : "controlpanel-add remove progs-ATI". Reboot & when XP discovers new hardware, do a manual installation and let XP search for the driver *.inf files in ..\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst....\DRIVER\. Done with the driver files. Now you have to install the WDM & CPANEL aswell. Open ..\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catal.....\WDM & \Cpanel directories & run "setup.exe" in both directories. Reboot when prompted, DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found this out at extremeoverclocking, it's a little old, but it sounds like it may work. They have you manually install the driver and then manually install the CCC console. I'm wondering if it's trying to install a feature you don't have, like VIVO and that's why your having a problem. Anyway, try this:

Cheers. I gave it a shot and still the problem persists. I'm betting on a hosed xp installation since the control center doesnt even want to load anymore. I've freed up a drive and will do a fresh install of xp this weekend to check if its a software or hardware fault.

try a set of modded drivers such as the omega drivers to see if you still get this problem. Their installer is different and may work better than the official drivers being installed. Worth a shot since it seems you have tried just about everything else sans a format.

I had this same problem after upgrading from an 850XT to a 1950XT (both PCIe). Regardless of what I tried, I would still get that error when installing the drivers. However, it seemed that it still installed the drivers properly, but CCC had to be installed separately afterwords. All the information I could find suggested a faulty vid card, even though it still performed as expected. Then, I purchased a new mobo and the problem no longer happened, so I can only assume it was a hardware conflict somewhere.

I gave your suggestions a shot and well, it looks like its the 1900 thats dead. I tried a fresh install of XP and it just shuts off when the welcome screen is supposed to appear. I also tried an install of vista and that crashed during the hardware test when you first run it. Same problem everytime. The monitor simply goes into standby.

So looks like i'm stuck with the x1300 till i can get myself an X1950pro cheapish.

Cheers guys.

Back