• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

help please with old k6-2 system

ryan483

n00b
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
2
Hi, new here.
I have a k6-2 350 mhz system I use as a linux server. The HD in it died, a measly 1.6GB.
Well I need a new HD for it, preferably much larger(100GB?). All the hard drives I see for sale are new UDMA/133 or SATA. I know I could use a conroller card but the mobo(M5ALA) only supports 33mhz(on the PCI slots). My mobo supports "2 x PCI Bus Master Ultra DMA(Ultra ATA, DMA/33)IDE ports (up to 4 IDE Devices)". My question: Could someone point me in the direction for a new HD and controller card to work w/ this system? Thanks.
 
Your mobo's native IDE controller or motherboard BIOS version may not be able to support a hard drive that's larger than 33.8GB. AwardBIOSes dated prior to October 1999 had a 33.8GB hard drive size limitation (per physical drive). You must either update your BIOS to a version dated later than October 1999, or purchase an Ultra ATA/133 PCI controller card. And even with a BIOS update, your IDE controller cannot support 48-bit LBA addressing, so your maximum hard drive size supported will be 137GB unless you purchase a PCI ATA/133 controller card.
 
Back
Top