Help please... "User profiles" changed from roaming to local.. what happened?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
If you right click on my computer, go to properties, click on the advanced tab, and then click on the 'settings' button next to user profiles, a box comes up where you can change the 'type' of your profile/s. a guy at work messed with these settings for no apparent reason, and now his computer is doing weird things every once in a while.. when he connects to the our office domain maybe 1 in 5 times it doesnt match his computer up with the server correctly, so his work gets screwed up.

i have never messed with this setting; everyone elses' computers are set up so it says "type: roaming, status: roaming".

can anyone explain to me what exactly happens if you change the type from roaming to local, and whether this could explain the problem he's having?? thanks!

well, alot of things are going to be looking for folders on the server if the profile is set to roaming.......... a local profile, all of these folders are on the local machine........... so if one wants to switch to a local profile from a roaming profile, whole directories need to be moved (or copied) from the server to the local machine, or the machine will be looking in the wrong place for things, and yes, this can very well cause problems....... A roaming profile is most useful for the user who may need to use multiple workstations in a typical day; a local profile is more useful for someone tied to one machine.............. at least with a roaming profile alot of your settings can follow you around, however, a connection to the domain controller is a must...................

Back