[Help Please]System Shutdown at XP/Vista load screen

fellows

Limp Gawd
I recently put together a new build using:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300
Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
Microsoft* Windows Vista* Ultimate/ Windows XP

I've read the [h] FAQ so hopefully my post will be quite straightforward

One weird thing I noticed is that on computer POST, there is no image screen whatsoever.

The BIOS does start if I hit DEL, and it does announce the option to boot to disc if I have one in the drive.

I've read the [h] FAQ so hopefully my post will be quite straightforward
Everything went fine with the install of XP Pro. I was even able to install all the Intel Drivers for Video and Ethernet on the included driver disc.

I tried to turn it on later that day and the XP load screen would show for about 2-3 seconds and then the computer would just shutdown.

Computer boots in safe mode no problem

I tried a new HD, and used both Vista and XP to the same effect...Install no problem, and then shutdown on load screen.

Steps I've taken:

- Symptoms initially made me think it was overheating. Double checked fans. Have a total of 3 in My Coolermaster CAC-T05 case.
-Reseated the Heat-Sink Fan using Arctic Cooling MX-2 Paste
-Tried both a 450W, and 550W Antec PSU (Both worked fine in previous builds)

So there we go. I am completely stumped. At this point I can only think it might be some video driver issue. But like I said it worked fine at one point. Perhaps I should try a PCI-E video card instead of onboard?

Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated

-Fellows

Try a PCI-E video card if you have one on hand. (Have the latest video card drivers ready so you don't have to look for them later.)

If you're having the same problems with the standalone video card, then you may have to RMA the motherboard.

ARGGH!!! OHH Please tell me there's another option.

There were no beeps or anything. I just RMA'ed my Asus Mobo. (That's the reason for this Intel build)

Stability my foot.

:(

Thanks for the input, I really hope it is a Video problem.
Anyone else have any ideas?

First, make sure that the onboard video is the default video to display in the bios If that does not fix the problem. Start in safe mode and notice the last file that is loaded on the Dos screen before the GUI or user interface is loaded. Sometimes this is the best way that you can find out if you have a borked driver. You probably should take any other drives offline that you are not using. Sometimes drives can be going and causing you boot to fail. Load the latest drivers from the chipset manufacturer, not the motherboard mfg. and set everything else, Programs, etc to not load on startup through MSconfig. Try to start in normal mode

Back