Help please, I cannot access the internet through any web browser.

DanniBoy

Limp Gawd
I got a Vista 32-bit system that was infected with virus/malware/spyware.
Ran Kaspersky rescue disk 10 and Avira AntiVir Rescue System.
Booted up the machine and installed/ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware Portable Scanner.
Ran CCleaner.
Updated Vista windows updates.
Updated and ran MSE.
Tried opening up IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera and none of them can get connected to the internet. I also tried reinstalling each browser with no success in connecting to the internet through it.
I am able to ping various websites through cmd.exe and all I am able to search and downlad/install windows updates.
I have also tried disabling Windows firewall and that did not work either. Also tried adding the browsers and port 80 to the exception list with no success in getting the browser to get to the internet.
There are no 3rd party software for firewall, anti-malware/spyware then the ones I have listed above.
Also tried uninstalling as much unneeded software to try and see if they were causing any problems.

Please help.
Thank you.

Try safe mode w/ networking. Also, when you ran the Kaspersky rescue disk and Avira Rescue, did you run them in safe mode, or just from a normal boot?

I will try safe more with networking and run the scans again. I only ran the rescue disks off a normal 'boot from CD' method. Will Malwarebytes, SuperAnitSpyware, A/V and MSE work in safe mode? Will I be able to install it in safe mode?

Thanks again.

Yes, those tools will run in safe mode. I actually meant them and not the rescue discs since they obviously boot from CD(brain fart). Running them in safe mode will catch more stuff than running them in a normal windows boot, so there could still be some offending malware on your machine. Also, did those browsers work before the updates?

this may already be set, but just to make sure
in IE
tools>internet options >connection tab > LAN settings
check the box that says 'automatically detect settings'

@ghost6303
I think they are set but I will double check

@Lord Nassirbannipal
IE and Chrome did not work. However, Firefox was working until on an older version, don't know which, then I went through 2 upgrade iterations to get it to the latest version via the update through firefox and stopped working. I will try and run the tools in safe mode when I get home tonight.

Had that happen before and I'm not sure if it was caused by malware or Kav Rescue. Reinstalling the Network card drivers fixed it.

If there is no proxy server set, your system32/drivers/etc/hosts file is clean, and it still doesn't work, you will need to reset the tcp/ip stack:
netsh winsock reset logsock.txt
netsh ip reset logip.txt

I ran Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and MSE in safe made and found a malware holding the internet proxy settings hostage that it didnt detect when it Vista ran in normal mode. Cleaned it up and changed my proxy settings to none/autodetect. Everything working like a charm.

Thanks everyone.

Back